Accion’s Center for Financial Inclusion seeks a new team member with 8+ years of full-time professional work experience related to financial inclusion and financial sector regulation, economic development and/or consumer protection advocacy in Africa. The position will focus on building and managing relationships as well as fostering collective action on client protection issue s in Smart Campaign target markets. The relationship management and collective action will be driven by dialogues around urgent client protection issues identified in the markets (e.g. issues identified through the Smart Campaign’s Client Voice research). These target markets are currently identified as Ghana, Benin, Uganda, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal.
Job Title: Smart Campaign Advisor, Africa Region
A critically important category of stakeholders will be regulators and policy makers in the respective markets. The position will initiate relationships and respond to demand from regulators to build their capacity on client protection issues and client protection supervision. The Campaign already has a suite of relevant tools for regulators but the position will also manage the creation of several new, tailored tools relevant to these markets. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated track record of developing and fostering productive high-level relationships with stakeholders relevant to the Smart Campaign.
In addition to these core components this person will play an instrumental role in promoting the Smart Campaign in sub-Saharan Africa (in English and French), supporting research projects, contributing to financial capability pilot programs, and helping build the commitment and capacity of financial service providers and the financial inclusion industry. Based in Africa, the position serves as eyes and ears on the ground for a mostly Washington, DC based team, ensures smooth communication with partner organizations, provides technical support to enable them to execute strategy and identifies and supports new partnership opportunities. The position also contributes to representing and collaborating with other Accion programs in Africa and promotes Center for Financial Inclusion tools and research on the ground.
FOSTER CLIENT PROTECTION ACTION AMONG KEY ACTORS:
- Manage mapping of relevant stakeholders in target markets and then build and manage relationships with them; identify new strategic partners and communicate and manage relationships with existing partners in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) as required.
- Design, manage and execute convening’s around key client protection issues in target markets and develop and monitor action plans.
- Provide technical support to partners and key stakeholders, including conducting trainings and webinars, and where applicable, review and respond to grant applications from them.
- Design, manage and execute events to disseminate results of Smart Campaign research projects in Africa
BUILD REGULATORY CAPACITY ON CLIENT PROTECTION:
- Develop and deepen relationships with regulators and policymakers in relevant markets; understand and map the complexities of supervisory capacities.
- Train regulators on Model Legal Framework or other supervisory tools.
- Commission and manage design of tailored tools for regulators on an as-needed basis.
- Effectively communicate with existing certified institutions to identify further areas of collaboration.
OVERALL PROJECT MANAGEMENT SUPPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS:
- Provide ongoing support for the execution of the Campaign research and learning agenda in SSA.
- Contribute to the development and the dissemination of Campaign products and tools in SSA.
- Communicate with and update partners in SSA and Middle East and North Africa (MENA) on campaign activities.
- Prepare written communications related to Campaign work and financial inclusion sector in Africa
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in relevant area; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of full-time work experience required, experience in financial services, consumer advocacy and/or standard setting preferred
- Awareness of topics related to financial inclusion including: fintech, impact investing and related fields and some exposure to technical assistance, monitoring and evaluation, and training skills preferred
- Fluency in English and French required.
- Willingness to travel independently to emerging economics in Africa (estimated around 20% of the time)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and diplomatic skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and work independently while coordinating with the team in DC on a regular basis and contributing to the team’s overall goals; demonstrated ability to work and thrive in fluid environment
- Experience living and working in Africa is required
- Ability to manage workload, meet deadlines, and multi-task across multiple projects and priorities
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.