Providing and having access to financial services can be a challenging and costly activity. That’s why we believe it’s essential to leverage innovative channels and technologies so businesses can efficiently and effectively provide their services and increase reach to those that remain excluded.
Accion’s Channels & Technology department is a team of experienced professionals helping achieve financial inclusion through the smart use of digital technologies and distribution channels. We work with financial institutions and innovative companies to plan, test, implement, and improve innovative technologies and methods to reduce the bottlenecks in achieving financial inclusion growth and scale.
Job Title: Senior Director of Channels & Technology, Africa
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Director of Channels & Technology, Africa, who will play an important role at Accion in helping further financial inclusion by contributing to the development of a world-class services organization, delivering high-quality services to support innovative companies, expanding our market leadership in alternative delivery channels and technology and helping build our internal capacity in the region. He/she will explore, create and manage collaborations with companies that are using technology to solve the bottlenecks in achieving financial inclusion.
1. Project delivery, change management and technology implementations (50%)
- Approach/stakeholder management: Ensure bank partner management teams and Boards are fully on-side with implementation approaches and plans.
- Project Management: Ensure all projects are effectively managed, and that local bank partner teams are properly staffed and adequate reporting and oversight controls are in place.
- Infrastructure Assessments: Oversee partner assessments of their infrastructure to ensure they meet minimum acceptable standards of security and efficiency.
- IT Capacity Assessments: Oversee partner assessments of IT staff, policies and procedures to ensure they are equipped to support the business operations from an IT perspective.
- Change Management: Ensure that projects deliver change through the business, and are ‘owned’ by the business, not seen as something ‘done’ by IT – ensuring that partners have the appropriate resources in place will be key.
- Selection & contract negotiations: Oversee and/or assist in the due diligence and software selection process for new software and tools; negotiate pricing and contracts.
- Pre-implementations: Oversee pre-implementation plans which include development of business requirements, detailed functional requirements, review of change management business impact, human resources and risks.
- Consultants: Source and manage external consultants and manage related budgets.
- Implementation: Oversee the implementation of all major bank partner systems and participate in issue-resolution decisions, vendor management, and regular update communication to all stakeholders.
- On-going Support: Ensure that adequate support is in place, both internally at the partner level as well as external at the vendor level, for the on-going maintenance, issue-resolution and future customizations.
- Post-Implementation Reviews: Oversee the assessment of a post-implementation review and lead on any findings / recommendations of the same.
- Budget / Funding: Work together with bank partners and Accion DS team on bank partner systems budgets and funding, ensuring that partner budget the costs of technology projects and support adequately
2. Business development (25%):
- Regional advisory services business development: Responsible to support regional management team in Accion Africa region for business development activities, building collaborations and establishing contractual agreements to provide advisory services.
- Due diligence: Responsible to support Accion’s investment teams looking at Africa region with due diligence of potential investee targets.
- Sourcing funding options: Responsible to source donor funding options for work across Africa region and with global resource development team to create concept notes and proposals.
3. Communications, Knowledge sharing and Capacity building (25%):
- Support and work with Accion’s matrix: Working with colleagues, look for linkages where our partners could potentially leverage new innovative models and technologies and benefit from new partner collaborations.
- Share knowledge: Document and share project results (activities, findings, outputs, impact) in the form of sharing knowledge, disseminating useful information & tools, and organizing and delivering learning and exchange opportunities, blogging, articles and/or case studies completed for internal learning and external sector-wide knowledge sharing purposes. Collaborate with Accion’s Communications department.
- Capacity building: Collaborate closely with our Training and Capacity Building department to share and exchange knowledge and organize learning exchange activities.
- Must have consulting/advisory services experience.
- 12-15 years’ relevant experience through a combination of consulting/advisory services and microfinance, with working exposure to financial services, strategy, and hands-on operating experience in challenging contexts.
- Must have excellent knowledge of and expertise in digital financial services as well as hands-on knowledge of one or more of the following: mobile money, digital payments, mobile banking, POS/cards, agent banking.
- Candidates must have very strong analytical skills across strategy, finance, consumer adoption and especially new channels and technology, but must also have experience planning and implementing.
- Experience working in Africa.
- Undergraduate studies in Economics, Finance or Development. Masters degree a plus.
- English fluency required; French or Spanish strongly preferred.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent multi-tasking skills with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to negotiate consensus among diverse groups and influence and impact the activities of others not in own reporting structure.
- Use different styles to influence individuals and groups and cause impact.
- Take a persuasive stand on difficult issues and on behalf of projects’ stakeholders.
- Demonstrably strong business development and negotiation skills.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally 40%.
- Excellent project and people/team management skills, especially in multi-cultural environments.
- Demonstrated Interest in our mission and in working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills for a variety of audiences; comfort moving seamlessly between executive teams and the field.
- Inspire trust within (project teams and business groups) and outside (vendors and consultants) the organization and demonstrates personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Measure products, services and team performance against agreed standards.
- Develop high levels of credibility and accountability and lead with transparency.