Posted on :
11 Nov, 2016
11 Nov, 2016
Accra Polytechnic, the Premier Polytechnic in Ghana was established in 1949. It was firstly known as Accra Technical School. Later became known as Accra Technical Institute in 1957. In 1963, the institute was named Accra Polytechnic by the orders of Ghana’s First President, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Accra Polytechnic by the mandate of the Polytechnic Law of 1992 (PNDCL.321), was elevated to a tertiary status in 1993 to offer Higher National Diploma (HND) certificate programmes.
Its elevation was aimed at enhancing tertiary institution through excellence, professionalism and diversity in its programmes. The institution produces all-round, innovative, and disciplined graduates who continually contribute immensely towards the manpower needed in Ghana’s industries.
Notwithstanding some teething problems, Accra Polytechnic has made tremendous progress through the review and expansion of curricula to suit contemporary needs. Courses offered are: Interior Architecture & Furnishing, Secretaryship and Management Studies, Bilingual Secretaryship and Management Studies, Accountancy, Marketing, Purchasing and Supply, Hotel Catering and Institutional Management, Fashion Design and Textiles, Mathematics and Statistics, and Science Laboratory Technology. The technology courses offered by the Polytechnic were maintained.