As a Savings and Loans company, Advans Ghana is under the supervision of the Bank of Ghana. Advans Ghana stands apart from other micro-lenders in the stability of its financial support thanks to their shareholders. These include Advans SA and leading non-government organizations such as the International Finance Corporation and KfW, and major banks such as the Société Générale. Advans Ghana is a member of the Advans group. The Advans group is a network of micro-finance institutions (MFIs) and microbanks which provide adapted financial services to Micro, Small and Medium sized Enterprises (MSMEs) and low-income populations in developing, emerging and frontier countries. Advans aims to transfer best practices in corporate governance and operations management to its affiliates.
Job Title: Assistant Legal Officer
Purpose of the job
The assistant legal officer is a corporate officer who assists the Legal Officer to handle the legal affairs of the institution.. The assistant legal officer will work with other legal staff to address the internal and external legal concerns of the Advans Ghana.. This professional must have superb legal skills and discipline to keep the institution functioning and out of legal trouble.
DUTIES and/or PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Legal Counsel and Company Secretary generally in providing proactive legal advice and assistance to the Institution.
- Hold Brief for and on behalf of the Legal Officer and Company Secretary in Court
- Undertake such company secretarial duties as are assigned by the Legal Officer and Company Secretary.
- Ensure that good record keeping practices are observed and that all documents are properly retained in the department.
- Build good relationships with those of equivalent level and more senior in other functions and with external advisers and government bodies. As an administrator, he must promote strong relationships with partners and clients of the corporation, acting as a liaison between partners and work groups.
- Make significant contributions in ensuring that all the department’s internal and external stakeholders receive excellent service delivery thereby ensuring that the legal department effectively partners all the departments and branches.
- Ensure compliance with statutory obligations and advise Legal Officer and Company Secretary accordingly
- Drawing up and submitting major contracts, agreements and other legal documents as directed by the Legal officer
- The Assistant Legal officer may prepare and monitors budgets and expenditures on certain projects and activities of the units
- The assistant legal officer must research different information to make sure the institution is acting in accord with all applicable laws of the country
- Good knowledge and appreciation of Ghana laws and labor related issues
- Strongdecision making skills
- Excellent oral and presentation skills
- Strong, analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Open and outward looking attitude.
- Strong inter-personal/communication skills.
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers.
Education and Experience
Education level/ Experience:
- A minimum of LLB qualification
- Qualified to work as a legal practitioner in Ghana.
- Must possess a minimum of 1 year post qualification experience within the industry the Savings and Loans company or its equivalent as lawyer.
Internal relations: Branch staff / Head Office department
External relations: Prospects / Clients
Supervises: Administrative assistant, Legal
Vertical mobility (within the same function): Branch Manager
Location: Accra, Greater Accra
Application deadline: 31/12/2016
Job Reference: ADV/JOBS/NOV/2016/5