The main objectives of the ClimDev-Africa Special Fund (CDSF) is to pool resources to contribute to sustainable development and, in particular poverty reduction by preparing and implementing climate-resilient development programs that mainstream climate change information at all levels in Africa and to strengthen the institutional capacities of natural and sub-regional bodies to formulate and implement effective climate-sensitive policies. CDSF forms one of the three elements of ClimDev-Africa Program, the others being African Climate Policy Center at UNECA, the Climate Change and Desertification Control Unit at the AUC. The AfDB manages the CDSF in close collaboration with the other pan-African institutions, the AUC and the UNECA. ClimDev-Africa Program Steering Committee (CDSC) provides the general policy direction and technical oversight over the CDSF.
Job Vacancy : Chief, Climate Change and Policy Officer
Duties and responsibilities
The main responsibility of the Chief, Climate Change and Policy Officer will be to support the preparation and implementation of CDSF and Bank activities related to climate resilient development policies, adaptation and mitigation. Working under the guidance and supervision of the CDSF coordinator, he/she will be responsible for:
- Leading the development and dissemination of knowledge products on policies on building resilience to impacts of climate change through adaptation and mitigation activities in a number of sectors in Africa, especially those that are vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, for example, agriculture and food security, water and energy.
- Leading the CDSF programmatic climate change adaptation and policy activities relating to project identification, preparation, appraisal, mid-term review, supervision, post evaluation (PCR) and submission of the grant proposals for approval by the Bank.
- Providing technical and policy advice to the CDSF team and professional staff from the regional member countries during implementation of climate change adaptation projects including procurement, project monitoring, disbursement and evaluation. Monitoring the status of the progress, challenges and administrative issues related to the CBFF portfolio and preparing project documents, and aide memoirs from project supervisions.
- Ensuring that the AfDB rules and procedures for the procurement, disbursement, legal agreements, anti-corruption action planning and social and environmental safeguards are properly applied.
- Organizing regular supervision missions and other technical and financial reviews of ongoing projects and identifying areas for improvement in regard to problem projects.
- Preparing reports and briefing materials for AfDB management and CDSF/ClimDev-Africa Steering Committee.
- Defending the CDSF projects and activities at the CDSC Steering Committee, AfDB management and Board and responding to operational questions.
- Working with relevant Bank departments, Country Teams and Regional Departments to ensure that CDSF operations meet Bank standards and conform to Country policies and CDSF Operational Procedures.
- Performing any other duties pertinent to the CDSF and assigned by the Coordinator of CDSF.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in environment science, agriculture, climate change, natural resources management, or related disciplines, a PhD will be a definite advantage;
- A minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional experience in development of climate change adaption and mitigation programs, policy formation, capacity building and project management in agricultural and natural resources management sectors;
- Sound understanding of climate change adaption and mitigation in the key development sectors in Africa vulnerable to the impacts of climate change;
- Excellent organizational skills and prioritization of work program, meeting deadlines, conducting several activities while simultaneously contributing to the work of others;
- Being capable of working in a team with colleagues with respect to gender and diversity;
- Ability to provide guidance and advice on strategies to enable others to achieve goals and solve problems;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, MS projects, knowledge of SAP;
- Willingness to travel to the project implementation countries and attend international meetings on climate change adaption as may be required.
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here