An Agribusiness firm that is mainly into large scale food crop Production and marketing has added processing (value addition) to her core functions. The company is a quality driven supplier, providing raw maize, raw soya bean as well as processed maize and soya beans to the Ghanaian and West African market and beyond. As a result of the scale up and expansion in operations, vacancies exist for qualified individuals (team players) to assist in executing the agenda of the new direction of the organisation.
Job Title: Agricultural Extension Officers (4 Post)
AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION OFFICERS – (4 SLOTS)
To ensure the effective dissemination, implementation and adoption of good environmentally friendly agronomic and animal husbandry practices to our small holder farmers co-operatives to enhance farmers’ knowledge about crop and husbandry techniques to increase productivity.
DUTIES, ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To work with the Agronomist to identify training needs of farmers in the community.
- To work closely with the Agronomist, Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) Agriculture Extension Agents (AEAs) to mobilize and register farmers to receive farming inputs and other services on credit from the company.
- Be responsible for all input and other support services provided to small holder farmers on credit.
- She/he is to ensure 100% recovery is obtained from farmers at end of each cropping season.
- Work closely with MoFA AEAs assigned to the various communities in the delivery of agriculture extension services.
- Develop the capacity of farmers to adopt and implement better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes to improve the long term performance of their farm businesses;
- Encourage farmers to adopt better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes to improve the long term performance of their farm businesses.
- Work with Co-operative Development Officers in communities to provide technical services for farmers in key parts of value chains where it is more effective and efficient (e.g. for integrated pest and disease management, climate change adaptation techniques, improved data management, veterinary services).
- Establish strong research linkages and improved access to better practice from Ghana, west Africa and overseas to ensure a continued flow of new knowledge and innovation, across a range of technical, management and market disciplines, through formal and informal relationships.
- Work with the companies Agronomist to generate public awareness on important agricultural issues (especially the advantages of local production, quality, climate change and safety).
- Plan, budget, implement, monitor and report on activities related to agriculture extension services delivery in the communities.
- Any other duties you will be assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
- BSc in Agriculture or related science, Rural Development, Development Studies,HND/ Diploma in Agriculture with over 4 years work experience can be considered.
- Experience in crop especially maize and soya bean production.
- Strong communication, presentation and liaison and interpersonal skills
- Keen interest and knowledge of farming and environmental issues.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the application of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Experience in working within a multi-layered organizational structure operating out of several dispersed offices;
- An open, flexible and innovative working style.
- Ability to take initiative and work without constant supervision.
- Willingness/ability to ride a motorbike.
- Must be gender sensitive (ability to work with both male and female farmers is desired).
- Age limit for all: 23-45 years.
How to Apply
Interested applicants may send their cover letter and CVs to: Jobs.email@example.com
Closing Date for all Jobs is: 20/01/2017
Start Date for all Jobs: 1st March, 2017
Job Type: All jobs are full time.
Location/Duty Post: Tumu, Sissala East District, Upper West Region -Ghana.