Posted on :
13 Jul, 2016
13 Jul, 2016
The U.S. Mission in Accra, Ghana is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Program Assistant (Cultural Affairs) in the Public Affairs Section of the Embassy.
Job Title: Program Assistant (Cultural Affairs)
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
• The Program Assistant provides administrative support for the U.S. Embassy’s cultural events and international exchange programs. Support includes–but is not limited to–handling logistics for embassy events, scheduling meetings, arranging local and international travel, drafting letters, maintaining records, and ordering supplies. Ideal candidates will be comfortable working in a fast-paced, internationally focused setting.
Qualification Required & Experience
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in the fields of business administration, international relations, or social sciences is required.
EXPERIENCE: At least one year of support for an internationally focused office, such as a diplomatic or development mission, development-related non-governmental organization (NGO) or academic institution is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV (fluent) in writing, speaking and reading English is required. High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken language, including the ability to translate.
Must be able to draft correspondence and other documents for the Cultural Affairs Officer.
Level IV proficiency in at least one local language spoken in Ghana is required. (Language proficiency will be tested).
When qualified, applicants who are U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and/or preference-eligible U.S. Veterans are given a preference in hiring. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants make themselves known as having a hiring preference and specifically address the required qualifications above in their application.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) USEFM who is ALSO a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
(2) USEFM OR a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
(3) FS on LWOP
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
2. Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
3. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
4. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold a security clearance.
5. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Salary: GH¢28,264.00 p.a. (Starting salary)
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); and
2. Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, certificates, degrees, etc.)
WHERE TO APPLY:
Human Resources Office U.S. Embassy Mailing Address:
Human Resources Office
Through the Mailroom Chancery
American Embassy, Accra
P. O. Box 194, Accra
FAX Number: 0302-741389
E-mail Address: [email protected]
Closing Date: 07 July, 2016
NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO THEIR APPLICATIONS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.
IMPORTANT: Applicants claiming a U.S. Veteran’s preference must submit written documentation confirming eligibility (e.g., Member Copy 4 of Form DD-214, Letter from the Veteran’s Administration, or certification documenting eligibility under the VOW Act with an expected discharge no later than 120 days after the certification is submitted) by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veteran’s preference will not be considered in the application process. Specific criteria for receiving a U.S. Veteran’s preference may be found in HR/OE’s Family Member Employment Policy (FMEP).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation.
Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.