Posted on :
28 Sep, 2016
28 Sep, 2016
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Ventilation Engineer
The Senior Ventilation Engineer is accountable for establishing and implementing the Ventilation standards and procedures for Subika Underground Operations
Operating Cost/Budget/Production: Operations/Capital Budget: $0M Manpower Budget: 1-4
• The core business function is to assist in the delivery of the LOM plan in regards to ventilation support and in accordance to Newmont Standards and Ghana Regulations.
• Accountable in conducting Primary/Secondary Ventilation Surveys and inspections
• Accountable in conducting Heat Load Surveys
• Accountable in conducting Wall monitoring/pressure surveys
• Checks on daily primary fan / refrigeration performance
• Undertake reports based on monitoring results, Primary/Secondary surveys etc
• Undertake work Instructions and requests were required
• Audit ventilation infrastructure and consumable supplies when required
• Maintain a ventilation instrument register and ensure all calibrations are scheduled
• Accountable for budget preparation activities within your team and be accountable for the timely delivery of the outputs required from you.
• Evaluate and propose optimum ventilation engineering solutions for problematic situations (based on accumulated data/information) which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
Safety and Environment
• Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
• Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
• Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
• Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
• Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
• Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
• Potential for hazardous conditions exists in underground mines and the incumbent must be familiar with them.
• Potential for adverse environmental conditions exists in some locations.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering or similar
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience in an underground environment
• Previously worked as a Senior Ventilation Engineer for a minimum of 5 years
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of Deswik, Ventsim software preferable
• Knowledge of Ventilation on Demand system highly desirable
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access)