Ashesi University College is seeking an experienced Mechanical Laboratory Technician to join our Engineering team. Ashesi University College is a world class liberal arts university located at Berekuso, approximately 1 hours’ drive from Accra, Ghana’s capital city. Presently, Ashesi University College offers a liberal arts core curriculum and majors in Business Administration, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, and Engineering. Ashesi Faculty and staff have multicultural backgrounds and share a passion for teaching and a dedication to the needs of students while collaborating across a wide range of research interests.
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Coordinator
The technician will play a vital role in setting up the mechanical workshop and laboratory for world-class education.
Reports to: Dean of Engineering
Duties & Responsibilities
- Complementing mechanical engineering teaching in laboratory sessions and giving technical advice to faculty and students.
- Liaising with faculty to discuss equipment requirements and work plans.
- Running trials of experiments prior to classes and demonstrating techniques for experiments.
- Preparing equipment before lessons.
- Working with students and supporting them on research projects and class projects.
- Maintaining and repairing equipment and laboratory apparatus.
- Ensuring that equipment is properly cleaned and that materials are appropriately stored.
- Managing the stock control of equipment and supplies, and keeping appropriate records.
- Developing a workshop and laboratory safety programme, and ensuring that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree, Higher National Diploma or an equivalent degree with emphasis on Mechanical engineering
- Four (4) years of working experience in a laboratory or workshop environment
- Enthusiastic about working with faculty and students in an academic and research environment
- Able to independently learn new skills and equipment
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Good communication skills (particularly spoken)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Sharp analytical skills and well-organized
- High degree of maturity and confidentiality with academic related matters
- Ethical behavior is of prime importance in the role
Additional Desirable Attributes
- Working experience in a college/university environment.
- This position would ideally suit an individual who is a self-starter, good team player and is willing to continuously learn.