The British High Commission (BHC) Accra has a vacancy for anA2 (L) Trade Support Officer in the UK Trade & Investment section.
UK Trade & Investment is the Government organisation that helps UK based companies succeed in international markets, and overseas companies to bring high quality investment to the UK’s vibrant economy. It has two parent government departments, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS).
UKTI Ghana is a small but busy team which offers a diverse, lively and challenging range of experience and opportunities to the successful applicant. This is an exciting opportunity for candidates with the right experience and competences, to be part of an award-winning international trade organisation.
The main elements of the job include
Direct support to the Head of UKTI Ghana and to the Energy and Infrastructure Trade Development Managers through:
- Advising and supporting UK companies with their business interests in Ghana and responding to a large number of enquiries with particular focus on the Energy and Infrastructure sectors
- Providing support to deliver a range of services to UK companies through the Overseas Market Introduction Service (OMIS) platform (market research, event management, meeting programmes, validating commercial contacts, due diligence enquiries etc.), and other UKTI service deliveries
- Support in producing and maintaining high quality sector reports and trade information to inform UK industry stakeholders of developments in Ghana – to be published online
- Support in researching opportunities and regulatory information in the Energy and Infrastructure sectors, and uploading them onto the UKTI portal online
- Support for trade mission visits to Ghana and the UK
- Support in facilitating regular British Business Group meetings
- General administrative support duties
Required Skills or Experience
Key Selection Criteria
- A university degree or equivalent
- Work experience in an office environment
- A general understanding of the Ghanaian private and public sectors and economy in general
- An understanding of international trade issues
- Public speaking skills
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft software, (word, excel and PowerPoint)
The British High Commission staff work to the UK Civil Service Competency Framework relevant to each job. The competences required for this job are:
- Seeing the Big Picture: Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes
- Making Effective Decisions: Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice
- Delivering Value for Money: Delivering value for money involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes: Effectiveness in this area is about finding alternative ways of working with partners and contractors to identify more efficient outcomes, balancing cost, quality and turnaround times
The successful applicant will need to observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s diversity and equality policies, show some flexibility over working hours, as they may on rare occasion be unsociable and be able to travel occasionally on official business if necessary and observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s diversity and equality policies
Information for applicants
- The monthly salary range for this position is GHc1, 569.00 (currently under review), plus access to performance-related pay.
- The appointment will be offered on an initial 1 year contract and subject to the satisfactory completion of a probationary period. Thereafter, the appointment will be renewed for periods of 12 months. Specific training and mentoring for the role will be provided for the successful candidate.
- The successful applicant will demonstrate that they meet the requirements under Ghanaian law to work in Ghana, and to pass (or have passed) BHC internal security clearance.
Candidates interested in applying for this position should complete the ; add their CV plus a cover letter to the Human Resource Manager at the address below:
British High Commission
Osu Link, off Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue
PO Box 296, Accra
with the envelope clearly marked UKTI Trade Support Officer
or to this email address: [email protected]
- The closing date for applications is November 20, 2014.
- The subject line must read A2 (L) UKTI Trade Support Officer
- Regrettably only those candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted.
- Interviews will be conducted soon after.
The British High Commission Accra is an Equal Opportunities Employer
More information about the work of the British High Commission in Ghana can be found at http://ukinghana.fco.gov.uk/en/