Posted on :
12 Sep, 2013
12 Sep, 2013
Under the guidance of the President and in harmony with colleagues and the community, the Commissioner for Administration, Conference & Protocol is responsible for planning, coordinating and monitoring the General Administration of and Management of Conference and Protocol Services, Procurement of goods & services and material resources of the Commission in line with laid down rules and procedures.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conceptualises, defines and implements strategy, policies and operational guidelines in Procurement, Conference & Protocol Services, Material Management and General Administration with a view to ensuring efficiency and further ECOWAS integration programmes;
• Co-ordinates and harmonises Regional/Community policies to ensure the efficient compliance with the ECOWAS Tenders Code;
• Collaborates with other regional International bodies, specialised institutions, Public-Private Partnerships to facilitate the implementation of Regional Programmes;
• Collaborates and works in synergy with colleagues and other Commissioners;
• Represents the President or Vice-President whenever necessary;
In addition to the functions listed above, the Commissioner is expected, among other things, to communicate a compelling vision to the ECOWAS role in integration programmes and ensure that staff and stakeholders subscribe to and support that vision.
• The Commissioner is also responsible for leading and managing the mangers and staff reporting to him/her, which includes:
• Ensuring that he/she remains a successful team player within the Commission of fifteen, by contributing to common goals, assuming a fair share of the work, supporting fellow Commissioners in their own initiatives, and making enough time to meet with other Commissioners on a regular basis to discuss common concerns.
• Organising the Directorates under his /her authority efficiently, with clear reporting lines, definition of responsibilities, and ensuring that his/her own immediate staff help this process and do not become an obstacle.
• Ensuring that during his/her absence, an officer-in-charge is thoroughly briefed and given the delegated authority to make decisions so that the work of the Commissioner is not obstructed.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A higher degree in the Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Management, and/or any related field, preferably at the doctorate degree level
• Senior level experience in advocating for and representing a large organisation to partners and other stakeholders in the public service/private sector/international agencies
• Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ work experience in Management, General Administration or any related domain with at least seven (7) successful years in a senior management position in a comparable organisation.
• Must have managed other managers over several divisions.
• Political exposure could be an added advantage;
• Fluency in both oral and written English/French/Portuguese with good working knowledge of any other as a second ECOWAS official language.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have directly managed private/public partnerships.
• Good knowledge and practical use of Microsoft office tools.
• Ability to plan effectively;
• Ability to tap and develop staff potentials;
• Capable of rewarding and sanctioning in the interests of improving staff performance;
• Ability to set, monitor and maintain good performance standards;
• Ability to chair meetings efficiently;
• Good communication skills for influencing groups of peers and stakeholders outside the organisational (public speaking, writing, persuasiveness, credibility, negotiation, problem-solving)
• Able team-player with peers (creates solutions to problems, creates ideas, takes on share of the work, reliable).
• Drive and energy;
• Demonstrates fairness;
• Self-control and stress management methods;
• Good personal organisation with ability to prioritise comfortably, adjust to rapidly changing priorities and to manage time well.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
How To Apply For The Job
Applications should be submitted by hand or post to:
Africa & Regional Integration Bureau
Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Regional Integration
P. O. Box M53
Tel: +233 302 999623
Closing Date: 20 September, 2013