Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organisation.
Job Title: Regional Administration Officer
FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE
To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
- Monthly Salary: Ghanaian Cedis 4,326 to 6,850
- Post holder reports to: Head of Region
- Staff reporting to this post: None
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: No
Main Purpose of Job
To provide administrative, finance and human resources support in the Region
Key Performance Areas
Administration and Logistics Support
- Identify appropriate physical offices for staff for all the countries in the region that meet the needs and available FTA budgets
- Ensure the relevant office contracts are signed
- Ensure the office has effective administrative rules, systems and procedures
- Gathering and collating information for tasks initiated by the Head of Region
- Liaising with staff and external contacts on behalf of the Head of Region
- Arranging all travels (national, regional and international), transfers and accommodation bookings for HOR and members of the Board, staff and assistance during their stay
- In liaison with Business Development Advisors and Business Support Officers organize and arrange producer visits for the Head of Region and any visitors
Supporting logistics for all travel for the Regional Team
- Under direction and guidance of the HoR and Member and Partnerships Manager provide administrative assistance to Board of Directors including organizing itineraries for partner Directors coming from outside regional office
- During Regional Board meetings ensuring availability of meeting rooms, external venues, equipment, materials and catering arrangements as required
- Prepare and maintain cash controls, reconciliation of bank statements and process invoices and purchase order systems in accordance with the FTA financial policies.
- Maintain, reconcile and advise on updating the general ledger
- Develop procedures and oversee controls in issuing all payments and cheques ensuring timely payments.
- Issue invoices, receive payments and maintain the ledger
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the computerized accounting system
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly financial statements as required by FTA policies and procedures.
- Prepare periodic reports on variances as required
- Prepare for and assist with the regional annual audits
- Maintain the computerized accounting system
- Maintain financial files and records to substantiate transactions and audit
- Maintain the office petty cash and staff imprest systems
- Safeguard assets by ensuring proper recording keeping
- Assist with preparation and consolidation of the regional budgets
- Assist in development and regionalization of FTA financial policies and procedures
- Responsible to ensure local tax laws and regulations are adhered by withholding, remitting and paying all taxes due and in due time
- Advise and update the Head of Region & the Finance Manager on all matters relating to local tax laws and regulations
Human Resource Support
- Ensure compliance with relevant labour legislation for all countries in the region and Human Resources and Administration policies, procedures and guidelines
- Prepare and administer the staff payroll and ensure statutory deductions are administered in time in liaison with Finance and HR at the secretariat
- Support the HR & Admin Manager in field recruitment exercises by setting and organizing interviews appointments, interview folders, and sending out regret letters
- Liaise with the HR and Administration Manager and the Head of Region to ensure timely renewal processes for contracts.
- Lead in joining formalities for incoming local staff and prepare their induction programmes
- Monitor and track staff leave types and status ensuring regular updating of the leave database and status report sent out to line managers, in coordination with line managers and advice accordingly.
- Update and ensure staff medical, pensions and all other insurances are current
- Creating and maintaining employee files, including CVs, employee certificates, employees bio-data, performance management forms, exit interview and leaver forms and ensure that all staff files and records are up to-date at all times.
- Responsible for reporting monthly payroll changes e.g. new hires, exits, change in salaries, promotions, etc.
- Support in pension administration by maintaining all pension records, including information on employer and employee contributions.
- Application for work permits as required.
- Prepare & submit HR & payroll reports to the Head of Region and HR and Administration Manager
Office Assets Management and IT Support
- Maintaining an up to date office asset register and corresponding Asset Insurance
- Coordinate office equipment maintenance and repairs to ensure equipment are in good working conditions
- Ensuring timely payment of utility bills (water, electricity, internet,) and Office occupancy Sort, review, screen and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; prepare, compose and ensure timely responses to a variety of routine written inquiries.
- Establish rapport with suppliers and prepare engagement contracts
- Manage office procurement processes by ensuring that competitive bidding has been done; prepare contract with vendor and maintain contract after award, ensuring that all documents are kept current and complete.
- Provide IT support when needed
Required Skills or Experience
- A degree in Business Administration, HR, Finance or related courses
- Other Specialist Training or Certifications
- Certified Accountant
- Diploma in HR/ Finance or related fields
- Minimum Years of Relevant Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar position
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Skills in using MS Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and knowledge of accounting software
- Experience in developing and tracking of budgets
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Knowledge of the local taxation laws and general accounting convention
- Knowledge of the Labour laws in the region
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/about-us/jobs-and-volunteering/.
If you have any queries, please e-mail [email protected]
or call +254 202721930 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team .
Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a pre-condition of employment.
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name and the position (RAO GHANA), and be e-mailed to [email protected]
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the app