Posted on :
16 Sep, 2016
16 Sep, 2016
Kinross is a Canadian-based Gold Mining Company with its Head Office in Toronto, and has mines and projects in the United States, Canada, Russia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana and Mauritania, and employs approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core values are putting people first, outstanding corporate citizenship, high performance culture and rigorous financial discipline.
Job Title: Strategic Mine Planning Engineer
Purpose of Role
Responsible for facilitating the optimal extraction of gold ore from the underground mining operations by providing mine planning and scheduling expertise to achieve medium to long term production and development targets and also ensuring maximum return to the business in alignment with EHS standards.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Support corporate feasibility study efforts and technical due diligence including preparation of open pit and underground mine designs, costs and schedules.
• Appraise mining methods, processing methods, operating cost, capital spending, production schedules, dilution and ore loss.
• Identify key engineering and mining success factors and issues that could impact the economic viability of mine plans and mine designs.
• Prepare engineering studies aiding resource estimates for life of mine planning purposes.
• Design and develop processes, practices and methodologies in engineering and ensure alignment with the organization’s long-term strategy.
• Initiate and undertake projects to optimize performance within engineering and to ensure adherence to industry regulations and organizational standards.
• Ensure maximum return on investment by carrying out optimization, design and evaluation work, calculating ore reserves in accordance with established planning policies such as cut-off grades and legislative requirements.
• Evaluate alternative designs and mine plans based on various operational scenarios with the goal of maximizing productivity and revenue
• Contribute to the business capability to mine safely by actively identifying risks and threats to achieving targets and developing, establishing and managing programs to ensure those risks are minimized or eliminated.
• Ensure that all members of the mining teams have clear understanding and direction of Project objectives by leading and controlling the coordination of regular planning meetings, ensuring deliverables are accurately recorded and distributed.
• Perform other duties as may be reasonably assigned by your supervisor in accordance with the company’s policies.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering.
• Must have a minimum of 3-6 years of underground engineering experience, with exposure to underground hard rock mining, preferably gold.
• Must have good working knowledge and experience with strategic planning and budgeting in the mining industry.
• Must have thorough understanding of open pit & underground mining operations, as well as a general understanding of milling operations and mine maintenance.
• Must be able to perform financial analysis in a mining environment.
• Must be proficient with mine planning software systems, preferably Surpac, Studio 5D Planner, GEMS, etc.
• Must have basic knowledge of all phases of mining &milling operations and proficiency in spreadsheet based cash flow analysis.
• Must be able to apply standards, policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
• Good written and oral communication and report writing skills.
• Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with defensive driving skills.
• Ability to drive underground is an added advantage.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants with the requisite qualifications should send their CVs and copies of relevant certificates to the address below not later than 24th September, 2016:
The Human Resource Manager
Chirano Gold Mines Limited
P. O. Box 57
Please indicate ONLY the position in the subject area when applying online.
Closing Date: 24 September, 2016