Standard Chartered Bank Ghana Limited is a market – leading financial services brand in Ghana, listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange.
It has operated for 118 years in the country and is currently the highest priced stock on the exchange.
The Bank’s focus and commitment to developing deep relationships with clients and customers have driven its consistent growth in recent years.
With a current network of 27 branches and 56 ATMs across Ghana, Standard Chartered offers exciting product propositions for customers and clients as well as career opportunities for more than 1,000 staff in Ghana.
It is committed to building a sustainable business over the long term in Ghana and is trusted worldwide for upholding high standards of corporate governance, social responsibility, environmental protection and employee diversity.
Job Title: Business Operations Officer
|Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Proactively engage with FM COO product and change and control teams as well other country and regional support/control functions and the various Global Shared Services Centres;
- Leading the delivery of Ghana FM change initiatives;
- Implement regional and global strategies in the business by working with the FM Heads and their management team;
- Be aware of and understand the Group’s business strategy and model for Financial Markets in Africa and Middle East.
- Continuously improve productivity and efficiency, and implement a standardization agenda for the business;
- Be aware of an understand the wider CIB business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates;
- Take the lead to identify and drive initiatives designed to improve operating efficiency and risk across the Ghana and the wider Africa and Middle East FM business;
- Prepare papers or provide updates as requested by Financial Market Management Team (FMMT) or governance committees;
- With FM Heads and RBM:
- Develop customer service, efficiency, or control metrics and implement appropriate actions in response;
- Recommend and drive continuous improvements in the business, i.e. identify and executing ad-hoc improvements to business processes, policies, structure, and roles;
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Identify knowledge gaps, facilitate development of training material and arrange relevant business training on operational risk. Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Be a source of reference within the FM business in facilitating and promoting the understanding of Operational Risk and compliance/regulatory requirements both at the Country level as well as across the Africa Middle East business.
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, requires an in-depth awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them
- With other business operational risk managers, oversee material risks at a country level within Ghana and ensure that they are properly mitigated, including any relevant audit issues
- With the business leaders and support functions, maintain a strong and appropriate control environment across the business in Ghana.
- Establish and maintain an appropriate framework and procedures for monitoring, identifying, measuring, assessing, reporting and managing compliance, regulatory, financial crime and operational risks
- Assist in-country BORM to Coordinate audits for countries within respective region and work with the business to avoid audit failures and work with Compliance to ensure regulatory requirements are met
- Assess management control awareness for countries within respective region and implement initiatives to improve this to an advanced level
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Implement and drive the Country BORF agenda to ensure business is conducted with proper governance oversight and ensure that material risks or control failures or themes are identified and noted for appropriate support and escalation. Drive resolution of key thematic issues
- Conduct regular on-site visits and reviews of countries within region as well as countries in wider region to promptly identify, assess, mitigate, report and escalate Operational Risk exposures and drive these to resolution and assist the business by embedding best practice
- Assist in identification of operational risk for new products and new business, regulatory and thematic risks and implementation of appropriate controls to mitigate those risks
- Regularly assess quality across region of control sample testing and control standards, including key risk indicators, key control self-assessment and key risk indicators
- Review and socialise thematic risks logged in Phoenix across region as well as thematic issues identified in peer reviews and on-site reviews
- Assist in-country BORM to identify new business and regulatory risks and facilitate the implementation of appropriate controls to monitor and mitigate risks
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Work with the all Business Operational Risk Managers to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: including Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention and The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values across FM Africa,
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Regional FM Business Manager
- Financial Markets Heads
- Desk Heads and Financial Markets Supervisors
- Senior Operational Risk Officers
- Country and Financial Markets Audit Teams
- Country and Financial Markets Compliance
- Financial Markets Operations and Global Shared Service Centres
- Traded Credit and Market Risk
- Business Finance
- Country Chief Information Officers
||Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum qualification of a first degree or Professional Education/Qualifications. A second degree will be an added advantage
- Understand of Banking issues;
- Must have completed all mandatory & developmental, regulatory/compliance and bankwide role specific training.
- Advanced proficiency in Risk Management and Internal Controls
- Knowledge of business level French will be beneficial but not prerequisite