Posted on :
22 Jul, 2016
22 Jul, 2016
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Job Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International is seeking applicants for the position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to be based in Tamale, Ghana as part of a new USAID-funded Feed the Future Ghana Agriculture and Natural Resources Management project.
• LOCATION: Tamale, Ghana
• UNIT: Forestry and Natural Resource Management Group
• REPORTS TO:Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist
Responsible for the technical implementation of the GIS and Remote Sensing aspects of the USAID AgNRM program in close collaboration with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), Natural Resource Management (NRM) Manager, and M&E Director. The GIS Specialist will also work with the M&E Director and other technical staff to provide spatial analysis support to the monitoring and evaluation team, including providing geo-located data and spatial products on applicable indicators.
• Design and conduct spatial analysis to support M&E indicator reporting, including providing geo-located data and spatial products on applicable project indicators;
• Design and conduct spatial analysis to support implementation of AgNRM projects related to community resource management areas (CREMAs), forest and land cover / land use change and land use planning, climate impacts and mitigation;
• Prepare customized GIS databases and create maps for AgNRM field staff and institutional partners;
• Provide technical assistance to AgNRM field staff as needed, including acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of field data, spatial data and remote sensing imagery;
• Provide training to team members in the use of GIS methods;
• Prepare and contribute to presentations of methods and results;
• Conduct literature reviews and background document research;
• Prepare periodic reports, maps, and written deliverables for AgNRM project staff and institutional partners;
• Establish and maintain a very close working relationship with AgNRM/Winrock project technical support teams in the United States; • Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor(s).
SALARY & BENEFITS
The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include life, disability and medical insurance, retirement, and other normal Winrock benefits.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Education: Bachelor Degree required. Master’s degree preferred with demonstrated coursework in the application of GIS/Remote sensing techniques to issues in ecosystem ecology, forestry, natural resource management, land cover/ land use, climate change or a closely related field. Bachelor’s degree with extensive work experience will be considered as equivalent.
• Work Experience:5 years of experience with GIS related to ecosystem services is required. (Education can count towards experience.)
• Demonstrated experience in the application of spatial analysis to land use, land use change, or land planning is must.
• Experience in analysis and design of projects using information technology and GIS is required.
• Good understanding of remote sensing methods and techniques a plus.
• Team support experience is desired.
• Experience working on forest carbon projects and knowledge of current forest carbon monitoring systems and technical issues a plus.
• Experience with databases using SQL including construction and macro development is desirable.
• Ability to work and train using GIS software.
• Familiarity with a broad range of forestry and environmental issues is required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, including a demonstrated ability to produce clear and concise reports and presentations on highly technical material (professional presentations, etc.).
• Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, email, presentation, and database software is required.
• Familiarity with at least one statistical software package is desired.
• Demonstrated strong analytical capability and excellent interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to interact effectively with others.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Language skills: English – fluent written and spoken.
How to Apply For the Job
All interested candidates shall submit their applications (maximum 5 pages including resume, three references and one-page cover letter) in English to:
[email protected], indicating “Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist ” in the subject line.
Closing Date: 01 August, 2016
• Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
• Final deadline for applications is August 1, 2016.
• Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.