Posted on :
7 Nov, 2016
7 Nov, 2016
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: HR Learning & Development Representative III
This position requires management of HS and First Aid Training programs. Knowledge and experience associated with safety, health, environment, cultural principles, first aid, practices supporting a clean and safe mining operation and a systematic approach to assessment are necessary.
Past experience will have included providing leadership and guidance for field operators in the mining, oil or gas industries in the areas of safety, health, environment and first aid training.
Current best practice teaching and instruction methodology is also a requirement.
Senior HS & First Aid Trainer will manage, deliver, conduct assessment and evaluate training associated with the critical areas of safety, health, environment and first aid for L&D orientation and specific HS training for new employees, contractors and daily hire staff including the training of first aid for zonal and national competitions.
This will be in accordance with approved curriculum, relevant regulations and best practices.Contemporary teaching methodology involving active learning and relevant for adult learners is expected to be provided.
Required to meet the following duties:
• Comply with all NG Occupational Health and Safety requirements as well as those required under relevant Ghana legislation
• Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee and training participant under or assigned to his/her supervision
• Develop lesson plans, train and assess personnel in accordance with approved and prescribed NG Safety Health environment and first aid curriculum and principles. Facilitate HS and S&ER training to ensure competence and safe workforce of employees. Carry out First Aid in an efficient and cost effective manner in accordance with St John’s Ambulance and/or Red Cross requirements
• Ensure complete records of all L&D activities in accordance with Company and L&D Department requirements
• Assist with staff development needs identification and provision
• Assist in the development of training aids and resources
• Assist with counselling training participants in relation to learning progress and when required
• Assist with the evaluation of training programs
• Assist in the development of HS and S&ER Modules
• Support selected employees and community first aides for Mine Safety Day competitions across the region
• Train and assess NG community health volunteers and stakeholders in emergency management including first aid.
• Train and prepare qualified personnel for mine statutory certificate examination conducted by Inspectorate Division of Minerals Commission in first aid as statutory requirement across all levels in the region
• Investigate, research, and design, as directed, revisions to currently taught topics and/or design of new topics, relating to mine health and safety training
• Ensure complete recording and reporting policies and procedures are implemented and maintained, to meet both NG and Ghana Government requirements
• Provide analysis, prepare and present reports on training on the general workforce
• Manages first aid training and assessments across the region with regular visit to all sites
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
• Must adhere strictly to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices
• Model and promote expected behaviors, with particular emphasis on desired values, safe work practice, punctuality, efficiency and quality of work
• Ready to work additional hours and days as necessary to maintain the integrity of the training program
• May be required to travel to domestic and international sites in the performance of duties
• Able to function independently with minimal oversight and direction
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Degree / Professional qualifications relevant for the position
• St. John’s Ambulance/Red Cross First aider Trainers’ Certificate
• Computer Literate
• Must have minimum of 3-5 years work experience in similar position.
• Training experience in the Mining, oil or construction industries in safety, health and environment Industry
• Professional Management and training programs experience
• Extensive theoretical and practical knowledge and understanding of all popular computer web base programs
• Computer literate and competency-based training curriculum experience
Skills and Ability
• Demonstrated ‘action/active learning’ teaching skills
• Strong interpersonal relationship skills are required.
• Excellent cross cultural understanding and communication skills
Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of SAP or equivalent enterprise level software packages is necessary.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Requisition ID: 161618