Posted on :
8 Nov, 2016
8 Nov, 2016
The Local Government Service is the newest of the public services of Ghana. It is established by Local Government Service Act 2003 Act 656 with its objective being to secure effective administration and management of local government in the country.
The Local Government Service Secretariat (LGSS) is inviting applications from its qualified staff to be considered for appointment as Head of department (HoD) in the following Departments of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs):
Job Title: Head Of Social Welfare And Community Development Department For MMDA
• The Head of Department shall provide strategic leadership and technical advice in promoting social welfare and community development programs and policies to improve the welfare of people and communities of the Assembly’s jurisdiction.
• The Head of Department shall report to the Chief Executive through the Coordinating Director of the Assembly.
Key Responsibilities/Job Summary:
• Participate in the preparation of Composite Budget and Annual Action Plan for the MMDA;
• Collaborate with all regional heads (Social Welfare and Community Development) for their technical backstopping and monitoring;
• Formulate operational policies and coordinate community-based projects/ day care centres and services for the rehabilitation of the physically challenged;
• Oversee efficient juvenile justice administration and implementation of statutory legal instruments;
• Monitor and evaluate programmes, policies and emerging social issues such as HIV/AIDS, domestic violence and child abuse, and make recommendations for decision making;
• Provide technical advice in the recruitment, performance and development of the capabilities, skills and knowledge of staff; and
• Prepare composite and comprehensive progress and annual reports on the activities of Social Welfare and Community Development in the Assembly
Qualification Required & Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Social Work, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Administration or relevant professional qualification;
• A minimum of Eight (8) years working experience in the Public Service with two (2) years in a managerial position;
• Must be in the Professional Cadre of the Social Welfare and Community Development Class;
• Must be a staff of the Local Government Service, and
• Membership of a recognized professional body will be an advantage.
• Must be self-disciplined and self-motivated;
• Ability to facilitate collaboration across teams to achieve a common goal;
• Ability to initiate, define and address high-level challenges and opportunities;
• Ability to use variety of communication strategies/ modes to promote dialogue and develop shared understanding and consensus;
• Be able to analyze and synthesize information to understand issues, identify options and support sound decision making; and
• Must be computer literate.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants should submit their applications together with photocopies of their certificates and Curricula Vitae (CV) to the respective Regional Coordinating Directors of their respective Regional Coordinating Councils (RCCs). LGS-CV format for the application can be downloaded from LGS website www.lgs.gov.gh
Officers who have alreadv been appointed and posted as a Head of
Department of any MMDAs are not allowed to apply for any of these posts;
Closing Date: 25 November, 2016