Global Communities is a development organisation serving more than 20 million people worldwide each year. The organization’s mission is to be a catalyst for long-lasting positive change in low- and moderate-income communities around the world, helping them improve their social, economic, and environmental conditions.
- Location: As stated on employment contract
- Job Title: Policy and Sustainability Specialist
- Reports To: YIEDIE Program Director
Global Communities (formerly CHF International) a Non-Governmental Organization is seeking an experienced professional to fill the position of a Policy and Sustainability Specialist for a 5-year program that seeks to create economic opportunities in Ghana’s construction sector for disadvantaged youth in five of Ghana’s six largest cities—Accra, Kumasi, Sekondi-Takoradi, Ashaiman and Tema.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Policy and Sustainability Specialist will:
- Serve as the Lead Specialist supporting the Program Director in developing Policy and Sustainability framework, using it to guide program implementation;
- Participate in the operations of the Participant Management Platform to ensure all policy related needs are addressed for all participants;
- Document, analyze and plan on and implement strategies that support YIEDIE youth addressing government regulatory barriers to promote growth of the sector;
- Work alongside the Partnership Development Specialist and other team members catalyzing new partnerships aimed at a sustainable program model;
- Set up a female role models and mentors strategy in support of youth and partner activities;
- Work with YIEDIE MEL team to produce policy briefs, case studies and learning materials which will be shared in part through policy action workshops, particularly at the city level;
- Support in operationalising the programs’ branding and marking plan;
- Host and assist each city level governance team to set up an agenda and strategy for influencing policy as well as facilitate the quarterly workshops/sessions;
- Research on and support YIEDIE to be consistent with national youth and construction related policies;
- Support NAG activities for influencing the broader construction ecosystem for youth employment across selected construction sub-sectors;
- Design and guide the implementation of a strategy to continuously promote women’s strengths and successes in the sector to stakeholders in all project forums towards breaking down biases to increase the opportunities available to trained young women;
- Support in providing technical guidance to the youth mobilisation, advocacy and youth placement organisations implementing YIEDIE;
- Work with Training and Capacity Building Specialist in building capacity of Technical Partners through training and mentoring, including trouble shooting to ensure compliance with agreed related deliverables;
- Prepare weekly, monthly and annual programmatic reports on all activities carried out;
- Support in preparation of annual reports in line with donor requirements; and
- Liaise with the supervisor on any other duties assigned.
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all duties on the program. Global Communities reserves the right to change and update the position description at any time.
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Social Science, Business Administration, or equivalent degree with relevant experience;
- At least 7 years of experience in the case of a bachelors or 5 years’ experience in the case of master’s, with at least 4 of which in governance; program policy framework development; advocacy and policy influence; workshop facilitation; program branding and marking in a large youth development program is essential and knowledge of the construction value chain is a plus;
- Experience in USAID’s program branding and marking standards, including reporting is essential;
- Experience in photo maker; basic GIS application and other related ICT applications for branding and marking is required;
- Substantial experience working on a private donor’s supported projects and knowledge in related regulations is desired;
- Strong writing skills in English Language.
- Computer literacy in MS Office Suite (especially Excel, Access and similar database software)
- Ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with donors, international organisations and local CBOs
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to work with complex financial information
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented setting
Applications should be sent to: [email protected] latest by 30th April 2015 with the job title in the subject line.
Applications submitted after this date, and applications without a job title will not be considered.