IESC – the International Executive Service Corps – is a US based not-for-profit with a focus on supporting private enterprise in developing countries. We have worked in partnership with local people in 130 countries – mainly with the generous support of USAID – designing, implementing, managing and evaluating a wide range of market driven solutions along the entire value chain of a company or industry.
IESC is seeking an experienced Produce Traceability Systems Volunteer Expert (VE) for an anticipated USAID Farmer-to-Farmer Program funded program in Ghana. This Sanitary/Phytosanitary System Strengthening and Trade enhancement program will focus on improving access to markets for Ghana’s farmers. It is anticipated that the VE will support the program by improving traceability systems for the export of fruits and vegetables. This is a long term assignment based in Accra,Ghana for a period of up to one year.
Job Title: Produce Traceability Expert
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Ghanaian Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MFA) to establish systems for traceability of fruits and vegetables for export markets;
- Consult and collaborate with private sector exporters, horticulture producer associations and trade associations when developing traceability system with MFA;
- Research the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) standards on traceability and International Plan Protection (IPPC) requirements to ensure compliance;
- Train stakeholders, primarily specialists and policymakers, in compliant traceability systems and procedures;
- Make recommendations and support the development of a framework for national traceability systems for agricultural product export market;
- Support the piloting of traceability systems for selected exporters or products.
- University degree in agriculture sciences, food science, economics or other relevant field; Advanced degree preferred;
- Minimum 10 years of experience in international agriculture and/or trade; minimum of 5 years of experience with traceability systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with African agriculture, private sector development and Sanitary/Phytosanitary Systems (SPS) and/or grades and standards development preferred;
- Strong leadership and communication skills; a capacity to plan strategically and flexibly;
- Experience with group training;
- Writing Skills: Reporting requires good computer skills including, but not limited to, working and generating reports with MS Word. Experience with PowerPoint presentations is desirable.
- Experience working in Ghana and/or the region preferred;
- Must be a Ghanaian national, US citizen, or permanent residence in order to comply with Farmer to Farmer requirements;
- English fluency required.