Posted on :
30 Sep, 2016
30 Sep, 2016
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach, addresses the developmental needs of tropical countries. Founded in 1967, IITA is a non-profit organisation with Headquarters at Ibadan, Nigeria. The Institute is governed by a Board of Trustees and works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. IITA is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural research (CGIAR), a global agriculture research partnership for a secure future.
Job Title: Gender Specialist Position (Social Scientist)
• The Institute is seeking applications for the position of Gender Specialist for USAID funded Africa Research in Sustainable Intensification for the Next Generation’ (Africa RISING) West Africa project lead by IITA and implemented in Ghana and Mali.
• The Gender Specialist will work in close collaboration with Africa RISING Senior Gender Specialist in addition to IITA colleagues, national and international partners.
• S/he will efficiently undertake a range of research and training activities.
• The gender specialist will take functional guidance from, and report to the Senior Gender Specialist
The person Gender Specialist will focus on activities in Ghana, with some operations extending to Mali. His/her operational activities will be planned, prepared and implemented in collaboration/consultation with the senior gender specialist. Among other tasks, but not limited to the following; S/he will:
• Prepare and take part in research activities to enhance gender inclusion in the biophysical and social science investigations of Africa RISING interdisciplinary teams.
• This will include the preparation of research proposals and tools, data collection and analysis as well as dissemination.
• Engage with relevant stakeholders in the technical and operational design and implementation of Africa RISING activities as well as gender disaggregated data collection.
• Coordinate, prepare and implement gender training activities ranging from support for individual scientists to facilitation of group trainings.
• Provide AR researchers needed protocols and requirement for gender disaggragated data collection.
• Plan, monitor and follow-up on gender-related activities and to contribute to the annual gender action plan and gender report.
• Contribute to the preparation of gender-sensitive communication and extension materials.
• Perform any other official duties assigned by supervisor.
The position will entail regional travels to coordinate project gender related activities and connect with partners on various gender related issues. The person should be a team player and be able to relate and interact very well with national staff and local partners.
• Duration: Two (2) years, renewable based on performance and availability of funding.
• Duty Station: Tamale, Ghana with official travel duties to Mali.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of MA degree in Sociology,Social Anthropology, Development studies or Gender studies is required or any closely related field with a specialisation in Gender.
• At least three (3) years of relevant qualitative and/or quantitative research working experience.
• Proven training/facilitation skills will be an advantage.
• Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
• Excellent skills in ICT
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Good organisational & time management skills
• Ability to work independently & under challenging field conditions
• Ability to perfectly integrate within a multicultural working environment/team.
• Competency in any local language spoken in Northern Ghana will also be an added advantage
How to Apply For the Job
Applications Including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to:
Dr. Asamoah Larbi
Africa RISNG West Africa Project & IITA-Ghana Representative
IITA-Ghana, P. O. Box TL6, Tamale.
Applications should be submitted by email to:
Closing Date: 08 October, 2016
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. IITA provides an attractive salary package.