Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a U.S. non-profit organization dedicated to creating, evaluating, and replicating innovative solutions to poverty and policy problems worldwide. IPA specializes in using randomized impact evaluation to assess the effectiveness of development programs.
IPA seeks an Evaluation Coordinator for immediate hire, who will assist with implementation and evaluation of a project which measures the health impacts of improving the quality of private healthcare provision.
The intervention is two-fold, and aims to impact health outcomes through both the supply of services, and demand for them. This position will be based in Accra or Kumasi, and will require extensive travel within and across the Greater Accra, Eastern, and Ashanti regions.
The Evaluation Coordinator will work closely with international researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
Data Collection Management:
- With research team, refine study design and survey instruments;
- Oversee and monitor data collection and survey field work, including planning, logistics, hiring, and training;
- Conduct qualitative research to inform research design;
- Run pilot survey exercises, provide feedback on field operations and survey instruments, and make and monitor improvements;
- Provide quality control for collected data through data cleaning, and assisting in preliminary analysis; and
- Assist in the writing of project reports and policy memos.
- Work with IPA Ghana’s financial staff to keep detailed accounts of all project program activities, including monitoring project expenses.
Human Resource Management
- Manage human resource procedures in coordination with IPA’s HR Manager including recruiting, contract/salary negotiation, evaluations, staff development, disciplinary action, etc.:
- Draft Job Descriptions for local hires and, when necessary, help circulate them;
- Participate in the selection process and assist HR with employment-related communication; and
- Assist PC/PAs with training as needed;
- Assist with staff evaluations twice annually; make recommendations regarding renewal of staff contracts;
- Work with the HR department to process paperwork for contract renewals and terminations;
- Enforce all IPA Ghana policies and work with IPA Ghana management to execute staff disciplinary action.
- Assist Project Coordinator and Research Manager with obtaining and sharing information from local government offices, NGOs, and/or healthcare providers;
- Communicate regularly with management team on matters including finance, logistics and government relations;
- Other duties related to project implementation as needed.
The commitment sought for this position is a minimum of two years.
Required Skills or Experience
IPA is seeking candidates who meet the following requirements:
- BA, BSc. or Masters in development economics, or field related to health.
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills.
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English.
- Strong oral proficiency in Twi, Ga, and/or additional languages used in Greater Accra, Eastern, and Ashanti regions is preferred.
- At least two years of project management experience. Extensive experience supervising, designing and implementing data collection and/or field work activities, and managing teams of field workers, is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Advanced user of Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word, Power Point), and the internet.
- Interest in pursuing a career in non-profit management, health policy, health evaluation support or related fields.
- Strong professional experience working in the health sector, and with public or private healthcare providers is preferred.
- Experience in data management, econometrics, and programming in STATA or SPSS is preferred.
How To Apply
Please submit your complete CV and cover letter by email to:
using the subject line: IPA Ghana Private Healthcare Provision EC: Firstname Lastname,
no later than September 15, 2012.
All documents should be submitted as attachments, and the file names should include the name of the applicant. The documents may be submitted in Word document or PDF format. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted by email or phone.
Offer valid till: 15 Sep, 2012