Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a U.S. non-profit organization dedicated to creating, evaluating, and replicating innovative solutions to poverty and policy problems worldwide. IPA specializes in using randomized impact evaluation to assess the effectiveness of development programs.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), a US based, non-profit research organization, seeks a Research Cluster Manager to oversee the IPA Ghana Research Cluster.
The Ghana Research Cluster is a national initiative where development interventions are designed, implemented and evaluated, alongside a long-term data collection effort.
The purpose of the Cluster Initiative is to make more efficient use of data collection and project resources, to test long term and interaction effects, and to better connect with local researchers and local agendas. This initiative is lead by Dean Karlan and Christopher Udry, of Yale University, and Robert Osei and Isaac Osei-Akoto, of University of Ghana.
The Research Manager will
- help to target the policy areas and priority research questions of greatest importance for the Research Cluster.
- supervise ongoing impact evaluations and interventions as part of the Research Cluster, ensuring close collaboration and communication with the local government, practitioners and the research community.
- provide advice and guidance on the research designs, survey instruments, sample selection, ongoing data collection and analysis.
- focus on dissemination of results, outreach efforts, and strengthening connections with local partners.
- also participate in IPA Ghana Senior Management discussions and contribute to IPA Ghana policy and research training and resource development.
The Research Manager will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Initiate the development of new research proposals including both the technical design as well for funding support
- Oversee all Cluster projects, including research design, data management and analysis, and overall project management
- Attend regular meetings with local government officials, NGOs and academics
- Disseminate results via local and international presentations, reports, and publications, to academic and non-academic audiences
- Liaise with US-based Principal Investigators, IPA Ghana staff and IPA headquarters
- Participate in IPA Ghana management discussions and activities
This position is based in Tamale, northern Ghana, though a great deal of travel to Accra and the Eastern Region is required.
Required Skills or Experience
This is a senior position with IPA that requires strong technical skills.
- Masters or PhD degree in agricultural economics, development economics, or field related to international economic development
- Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research. Background in randomized control
- Experience in agriculture and agricultural insurance preferred
- At least two years of project management experience. Extensive experience supervising data collection and/or field work, teams of field workers, and survey implementation
- Experience with data management, econometrics, and advance knowledge of Stata
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required. Experience in conducting field research in developing countries required
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills
- Ability to represent IPA in public forums and to present the work of the Research Cluster to partners, donors, and policy makers
- Very high level of proficiency in English. Strong oral and written communications skills
How To Apply
- Start Date: June 1, 2011 or as soon as possible
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2012.
- Length of Commitment: minimum of two years, three years is preferred
How to Apply
If you are interested, please do two things:
- Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application https://apply.povertyactionlab.org/login indicating that you are interested in applying for a Type 4: “Field Research Associate or Project Associate” position. Please include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, CV, and transcripts.
- Send an email to [email protected], copying [email protected], following these instructions exactly:
- In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your Resume and Cover letter.
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line:100629IPAGhana, Research Cluster Manager
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Offer valid till: 15 Apr, 2012