Posted on :
7 Jun, 2016
7 Jun, 2016
Established in 2002, the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI) is the leading organization promoting child protection in cocoa-growing communities. ICI works with the cocoa industry, civil society and national governments in cocoa-producing countries to ensure a better future for children and contribute to the elimination of child labour.
Job Title: Finance Associate
• International Cocoa Initiative (ICI) – Terms of Reference, Finance Associate, ICI Ghana
• The International Cocoa Initiative Finance Associate supports the National Coordinator (NC) with the management of Finance for the National Coordination Office based in Accra, Ghana and ICI’s operations in-country.
• The Finance Associate is in charge of ensuring the effective and efficient financial operations of ICI’s operations in Ghana. The Finance Associate supports in particular the NC with the accountancy and financial management of ICI operations, tracking and monitoring of the National Coordination Office, Direct Implementation Budgets and project budgets. The main duties will include preparation of and follow-up on budgets; initialing all orders and payments, accounting/bookkeeping, financial reporting and liaising with the general secretariat in Geneva and external partners (NGO partner organizations, auditors, tax administration, etc.); and keeping all financial and accountancy documents up to date.
• Responsible for the accountancy and financial management of the National Coordination Office and ICI Operations in Ghana and for ensuring duties instructed by the NC and the ICI Secretariat are fulfilled:
To provide support in particular with:
• Responsible for bookkeeping, covering among other payables and receivables, petty cash;
• Supervise all control duties (Secretariat, bank, service providers and auditors);
• Set up balances and make sure the office accountancy is in conformity with the national requirements as well as ICI’s requirements and policies
• Issue all accountancy, tax and social declarations to the competent authorities;
• Suggest any improvements in the accountancy procedures
• Process payment of salaries, allowances, travel claims and other payments to ICI Ghana staff, vendors and other claimants;
Financial management / Budget review:
• Examine the budget component of all project proposals received in the coordination office, matching each budget line with the planned activities
• Support the preparation of project budgets as needed
• Support the preparation of the national coordination budget together with the national coordinator and other officers
• Support the mid-year budget review process
• Perform regular monitoring of Direct Implementation expenses, which may include visiting offices in the various districts
• Review staff liquidations as per ICI Financial Procedures
Financial policies and procedures:
• Maintain proper accounting files on budgets, cash advance requests, liquidations, receipts (archive) and bank statements or balances; help put in place an archiving system;
• Advise the NC and the Financial Manager on appropriate reforms to financial policies management in accordance with national laws
• Support the development of ICI Ghana –specific financial policies, under the supervision of the NC and in coordination with the Finance Manager
• Support ICI Ghana personnel in their understanding of financial rules and policies and ensure all staff comply with those
• Give support to finance management related issues.
• Prepare and submit Coordinating office and DI monthly expenses and cashbook reportsto ICI Secretariat
• Prepare financial reports on a quarter/annual basis as needed
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
• Provide support to the NC and Finance Manager for the yearly external audit
Qualification Required & Experience
• Professional accounting qualification with 3-5 years relevant work experience in leading the finances, ideally for international NGOs.
• Experience required: Accounting, Budget development, monitoring and analysis; Financial tracking and Financial reporting.
• Knowledge of accounting software
• Knowledge of information management tools and basic IT skills;
• Excellent Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools;
• Excellent accounting and bookkeeping skills
• Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources
• Clear, concise written and verbal communications skills in English, knowledge of French a plus
• Personal skills
• The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Finance Associate.
• The incumbent must also be honest and trustworthy, and demonstrate sound work ethics; as well as having a strong team working approach.
How To Apply For The Job
Please send applications in English (including a cover letter and your updated CV) to Ms. Emmanuelle Rosset:
Only those candidates who match the above requirements and who have been selected for interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: 17 June, 2016