Posted on :
17 Jun, 2016
17 Jun, 2016
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is a non-profit research organisation with headquarters in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and offices across Africa and Asia. Research at the Institute focuses on improving how water and land resources are managed, with the aim of underpinning food security and reducing poverty while safeguarding vital environmental processes.
As water becomes scarcer, there is a growing need to find ways to produce sufficient food to feed the world’s expanding population, while using less water, safeguarding fragile environmental services and without having much opportunity to open up new agricultural lands. The Institute undertakes research projects with this aim in mind.
Job Title: Executive Officer to Director, Africa
The person and the job:
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a well-qualified individual with a strong background in administration and qualifications and experiences in preparing scientific information to work as Executive Officer to Director, Africa. The position holder will be based at IWMI’s Regional Office for Africa and West Africa Office in Accra, Ghana, and will work under the supervision of the Director, Africa, who is also based at this office.
You will be responsible for the following:
• Act as the first point of contact for the office of the Directo r, scheduling appointments and meetings, and updating the Direc tor’s diary.
• Ensure that enquiries and correspondence to the Director’s offi ce are responded to in an appropriate and timely manner.
• Develop and periodically revise the database of regional donors and partners.
• Support the Director in promoting IWMI’s image in the region, t hrough relationship management, and sharing of the Institute’s communication and marketing materials with major stakeholders and partners.
• Manage internal communications across regional offices, and organize regular virtual communication sessions for the Director to share information and engage with office heads and staff across all IWMI’s offices in Africa.
• In liaison with the Business Development Office at IWMI headqua rters, develop a database of projects at various stages of
implementation in all offices of the Institute in Africa.
• Coordinate travel arrangements for the Director and complete po st-travel activities.
• Prepare PowerPoint presentations for the Director’s meetings with donors and stakeholders, and for scientific conferences.
• Provide operational assistance and oversee logistical support for major events, meetings and conferences.
• Perform other administrative duties that may be assigned from t ime to time by the Director.
Qualification Required & Experience
You will possess:
• a university degree in a relevant scientific discipline;
• a postgraduate diploma or degree in administration;
• work experience in international organizations;
• at least 5 years’ relevant administrative experience;
• knowledge of French (written and verbal);
• experience in the preparation of scientific information and pap ers;
• experience in creating PowerPoint presentations;
• experience in building and sustaining relationships with diverse stakeholders;
• an excellent command of English (written and verbal);
• good organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner;
• demonstrated strong communication skills, particularly with respect to the preparation of correspondence and briefings;
• demonstrated use of good judgment and adaptability to changing office demands;
• demonstrated familiarity with social media, and the ability to use such media to promote inter-office communications and infor mation sharing;
• the ability to work independently;
• excellent interpersonal skills and be a good team player;
• the ability to operate spreadsheets and word processing program s at a highly proficient level;
• the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner; and
• personal attributes such as high standards of conduct, respect, flexibility and sound work ethics.
This is a nationally recruited staff position and only citizens of Ghana are encouraged to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes transport and health insurance. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit your application online at:
Closing Date: 30 June, 2016
Please attach your curriculum vitae together with a cover letter, which addresses IWMI’s requirements shown above, and the names and email addresses of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
The International Water Management Institute (www.iwmi.org) is an international, non-profit research organization dedicated to providing evidence-based solutions to sustainably manage water and land resources for food security, people’s livelihoods and
the environment. IWMI is a member of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff in terms of both gender and nationality.