Posted on :
5 Aug, 2016
5 Aug, 2016
The CSIR is a semi-autonomous Corporation with the mandate to pursue the implementation of Government policies on scientific research and development; encourage coordination of scientific research for the management, utilization and conservation of the natural resources of Ghana; and to advise Government on scientific and technological advances likely to be of importance to national development. Established in its present form in October 1968 as Ghana’s premier S & T Research and Development organisation, the CSIR now operates under the mandate of CSIR Act 521 of 1996, which among other things, empowers it to commercialize its research activities. From its Head Office in Accra, the CSIR oversees and co-ordinates the activities of 13 research institutes spread across the country.
The mandate of the CSIR-Water Research Institute is to undertake research into all aspects of water resources (both living and non-living) of Ghana in order to provide scientific and technical information and services needed for sustainable development, utilization and management of the resources for socio-economic advancement of the country.
Job Title: Director Of CSIR-Water Research Institute (WRI)
The successful applicant
• Serve as the Head of tfti Institute and will be responsible to the Director-General for the day-to-day administration of the affairs of the Institute.
• Establish effective linkages with relevant institutions and agencies within and outside the CSIR.
• Co-ordinate priorltised research of the Institute under the broad guidance of the Director-General.
• Promote the transfer of technology to industry/agricultural business and commercialisation of research in general.
• Co-ordinate research funding initiatives, and provide services and inputs to determine research priorities as well as formulate and implement Science and Technology Plans.
• Be responsible for the overall management and development of the human resource base of the Institute.
• The applicant must be 55 years or less.
• The position is for five (5) years in the first instance, and may be renewed subject to satisfactory performance on the job.
• The salary is attractive with fringe benefits.
Qualification Required & Experience
The ideal applicant must have:
• A PhD degree or equivalent qualification in Biological Science, Physical Science. Engineering Science or related discipline from a recognised University or Institution.
• Not less than 12 years experience in Research and Development (R & D), including at least 5 years of successful experience in a management position.
• Distinguished research contribution as evidenced by scientific publications. The research output should be adjudged to be at least equivalent to that of an Associate Professor/Principal Research Scientist
• Ability to organise, direct, and co-ordinate activities within a Research Institute for national development.
• Good knowledge of the agencies in the relevant Sectors, as well as the ability to interact with top management in other institutions and agencies.
• Proven ability to inspire research staff and supporting personnel.
• Ability to generate and attract funding, both internally and externally, to support research activities.
• Ability to translate policy decisions into action programmes.
• Good interpersonal relations.
How to Apply For the Job
Interested applicants are to submit the following in addition to the application letter:
• Full Curriculum Vitae
• Names and Addresses of three (3) confidential referees.
• A 3-4 page Vision Statement for the advertised position.
Applications should be forwarded to the following address below:
Council For Scientific And Industrial Research
P.O. Box M.32, Accra.
Applications may also be brought personally to the CSIR Head Office, off Agostino Neto Road. Accra. (Opposite the Chinese Embassy
Closing Date: 31 August, 2016