Posted on :
30 Sep, 2013
30 Sep, 2013
The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of Administrative Assistant in the Health Unit of the Embassy.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent acts as receptionist and an Administrator of the Accra Regional Health Unit (HU); manages and provides support services to the Regional Medical Officer, Foreign Service Health Practitioner, Regional Medical Officer/Psychiatrist, and Registered Nurses; and provides effective and efficient services to customers to meet or exceed ICASS Standards. Designs, maintains and organizes computerized HU administrative and educational files; liaises with local companies to repair and maintain HU’s medical and office equipment; coordinates monthly local consultant medical meeting, and other trainings, such as CPR, Emergency Trauma Course and First Aid, Food Handlers’ courses and others as they arise. Reports Time and attendance for the Health Unit staff.
Position Number: A51238
Qualification Required & Experience
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Completion of Secondary School or High School is required.
2. Two years of progressively responsible experience in office management within the Department of State or in a medical office.
3. Proficient in Microsoft Office Computer applications. Must know medical office procedures and practices as well as general office administration procedures. Typing skills and computer experiences will be tested. Copied at: ghanacurrentjobs.com
4. Level IV English- High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken language, including the ability to translate. On occasion, the job holder may need to target the message to his/her audience by adjusting the terminology used. Language proficiency will be tested.
5. Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a client-oriented disposition. Must demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in a diverse patient and staff population.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their current employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their current employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Salary: GH¢17, 869 p.a. (starting salary)
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE.
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the [email protected] email address. This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
Through the Mailroom, Chancery
American Embassy, Accra
P.O. Box GP 194
Cantonments – Accra
POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 18 September, 2013
The US Mission in Accra, Ghana provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.