A non- financial institution is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and results oriented individual to head its Legal Department.He/She will supervise, manage and coordinate the operations of the institution’s legal and associated legal issues.
- Providing analysis and counsel on legal and policy issues which may include; proposed new products, protecting intellectual property, mergers & acquisitions, financial offerings, financial structuring, securities offerings, compliance issues, nondisclosure agreements, outsourcing agreements and business strategic planning.
- Reviewing of contracts between the Institution and other bodies.
- Advising Management on legal issues and ensuring that the rights of the clients are protected
- Managing the Institution’s charged off loans and non- performing assets
- Assisting external legal counsel to recover outstanding facilities from defaulting Customers.
- Conducting and coordinating research into a variety of legal issues.
- Undertaking credit appraisals of customers.
- Drafting legal documents, instruments and agreements.
- Examining all newly published laws, acts and regulations and ascertaining how these affect the institution’s business.
- Perfecting of legal documentation.
- Developing and recommending of operating policy and procedural improvements.
- Preparing and creating legal contracts on behalf of the Institution and representing the client in various legal proceedings.
- Participating in relevant committee meetings such as disciplinary, credit, loan review etc.
Required Skills or Experience
- First degree in Law and a professional law certificate (BL)
- Five years of experience in working for a non financial institution and an extensive post call experience.
- A minimum of two years private practice would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting and financial principles
- Knowledge of the continuum of credits
- Demonstrated knowledge of laws guiding the non financial sector
- Ability to relate to people at all levels
- Ability to articulate viewpoints and stick to them where necessary – assertiveness
- Snap decision – maker, but discerning and prudent
- Ability to plan and coordinate operations
- Ability to work as a team and under time pressure
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.