The Local Government Service is the newest of the public services of Ghana. It is established by Local Government Service Act 2003 Act 656 with its objective being to secure effective administration and management of local government in the country.
The Local Government Service Secretariat (LGSS) is inviting applications from its qualified staff to be considered for appointment as Head of department (HoD) in the following Department of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs):
Job Title: Head Of Urban
- The Head of Department shall provide strategic leadership and technical advice in promoting the formulation and implementation of Urban Roads policies and programmes to improve the urban roads network in the Assembly’s jurisdiction.
- The Head of Department shall report to the Chief Executive through the Coordinating Director of the Assembly.
Key Responsibilities / Job Summary:
- Participate in the preparation of Composite Budget and Annual Action ‘Plan for the MMA;
- Supervise the collection of data for planning, development and maintenance of urban roads infrastructure of the MMAs;
- Establish and maintains a database on urban roads infrastructure in the MMAs;
- Maintain records of classified contractors and consultants in the urban roads construction industry;
- Facilitate the prioritization of works for the preparation of annual plans;
- Prepare progress and annual reports on urban roads works;
- Assist the evaluation of road designs by consultants;
- Collaborate with Regional Departments (Urban Road & National Road Safety Commission) for their monitoring and technical backstopping;
- Ensure the development of the capabilities, skills and knowledge of staff;
- Facilitate capacity building of contractors and stakeholders; and
- Prepare composite and comprehensive progress and annual reports on urban roads projects and activities in the Assembly.
Required Skills or Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Building Technology or equivalent relevant discipline;
- A minimum of Eight (8) years working experience in the Public Service with two (2) years in a managerial position;
- Must be in the Professional Cadre of the Engineering Group;
- Must be a staff of the Local Government Service; and
- Must be a member of a recognized professional
- Required Skills/Competencies;
- Must be self-disciplined and self-motivated;
- Ability to facilitate collaboration across teams to achieve a common goal;
- Ability to initiate, define and address high-level challenges and opportunities;
- Ability to use variety of communication strategies! modes to promote dialogue
- and develop shared understanding and consensus;
- Be able to analyze and synthesize information to understand issues, identify
- options and support sound decision making; and
- Must be computer literate.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants should submit their applications together with photocopies of their certificates and Curricula Vitae (CV) to the respective Regional Coordinating Directors of their respective Regional Coordinating Councils (RCCs). LGS-CV format for the application can be downloaded from LGS website www.lgs.gov.gh
Officers who have alreadv been appointed and posted as a Head of
Department of any MMDAs are not allowed to apply for any of these posts;
Closing Date: 25 November, 2016