Posted on :
4 Aug, 2016
4 Aug, 2016
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
Job Title: Structural Engineer/Bridge Engineer (Retainer)
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Structural Engineer/Bridge Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and co-ordinate any designs assigned and related documentation works. He or she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality design documentation is carried out on time and on or under budget. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
• Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports.
• Perform and Coordinate the structural design works and submissions.
• The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required in accordance with UNDSS restrictions.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the Structural Engineer/Bridge Engineer prior to commencement of each and every assignment. The Structural Engineer/Bridge Engineer shall give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any design assigned and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for performing high quality design and documentation of projects which is to be carried out on time as per the agreed task.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
• Familiar with modern methods of design and construction of bridges and culverts involving RCC/steel structures, international design standards and technical specifications, quality control/assurance procedures for construction of different component of bridges.
• Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
• Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, bar bending schedules and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing.
• Work closely with Project Managers, Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design.
• Review and ensure the documents prepared meets the quality standard requirements.
• Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs.
• Carry out structural design of services according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
• Strong ability in producing and reviewing structural bill of quantities.
• Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible non or late delivery prior to the event.
• Carry out structural site inspections and assessments as required report as required.
• Assist in the development of specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
• Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
• Liaise with national and international clients and address requirements when required.
• Coordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines – Architectural and Design Engineers and Quantity Surveyors.
• Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
• Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
• Review and certify structural design documentations as a third party independent body when required.
• Co-ordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable and relevant health and safety procedures are adhered to.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
• Respect for Diversity
• Creativity and innovation
• Commitment to continuous Learning
• Organizing and quality
• Results orientation
• Communications skills
• Teamwork skills
• Client focus
• Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context.
• Good team player attitude.
• Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Master’s Degree in Structural Engineer/Bridge Engineer or related field.
• Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree with 9 years of additional relevant professional experience in structural engineering or related field may be considered in lieu of the Master’s Degree.
• Applicants with Technical/Professional Diploma Certification with 11 years may well be considered.
• 7 years of years of relevant working experience with demonstrated capacity to deliver results in an international development environment in design,in Structural Engineering of transportation structures, i.e., bridges, culverts.
• Candidates with experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies and demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite and structural analysis and engineering design software such as AutoCAD, Revit, MathCAD, PLS-CDD, StaadPro, etc.will be well regarded.
• Membership to Professional Engineer’s list from a recognized engineering body / institution is desirable.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
How to Apply For the Job
Interested candidate should check below to apply.
Click Here To Apply Online
Closing Date: 22 August, 2016