Posted on :
27 May, 2016
27 May, 2016
MEDA is an association of Christians who invest in people living in poverty around the world so they can unleash their potential to earn a livelihood to provide for their families and enrich their communities. MEDA has been working in Ghana since 2012. To learn more about MEDA and our work, please visit www.meda.org .
Job Title: Capacity & Environment Specialist
Capacity & Environment Specialist – MEDA Farmers’ Economic Advancement Through Seedlings (FEATS) Project
• MEDA has received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) to implement a six (6) year Farmers’ Economic Advancement Through Seedlings (FEATS) project aimed at supporting Ghana’s tree crops sector. Working with a private sector firm, Tree Global, and its Ghanaian subsidiary, MEDA will establish industrial-scale nurseries with commercial distribution networks reaching farming communities across the country. The FEATS project aims to facilitate the distribution of 21 million tree seedlings over a six (6) year period. The goal of the project is to improve economic wellbeing of 100,000 farmers in strengthened export-linked tree crops industries. The project also aims to support 50 small enterprises and their employees including 25 tree-sector farmer and industry associations.
• To support the FEATS project deliver on its mandate, MEDA seeks to recruit a Capacity and Environment Specialist to be based in Accra with frequent travel across 6 regions of Ghana. Interested and qualified Ghanaians, and residents of Ghana are invited to apply for this position.
• The Capacity & Environment Specialist will be the technical lead for the project and will be responsible for leading and building capacity within the field team in the project’s farm business/ technical approaches, including tree crops agronomy, agro-ecological and environmentally sustainable practices among others. The role works under the supervision of Field Project Manager and maintains strong working relationship with MEDA’s Waterloo based environment specialist and is expected to retain close coordination and a positive working relationship with MEDA FEATS project staff.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
• Build capacity within the FEATS Project team on environment and tree crops agronomy and ensure sustainable environmental practices are integrated into all project’s activities/ partnerships
• Lead the design and implementation of training curricula promoting environmentally sustainable farm business models among project beneficiaries (male and female farmers)
• Facilitate training and capacity building of project’s partners and farmers in GAP of tree crops and environmentally sustainable farm business practices
• Coordinate the establishment of tree crop demonstration plots to promote the benefits of cultivating high quality tree seedlings among male and female farmers and organize training programs using this platform
• Facilitate the establishment of seedling demonstration and trial sites in collaboration with partner firms and provide ongoing monitoring support for these trial sites.
• Lead the field deployment of iForm builder platform for seedling data collection and analysis in consultation with the eVoucher/ M&E Manager
• Support the field implementation of eVoucher scheme including issuer and retailer trainings and work with seedling distribution centres operators and issuing agents to address bottlenecks in consultation with the eVoucher/ M&E manager
• Support M&E data collection and dissemination of project information among partners and clients.
• Document success stories at enterprise and farmer levels for inclusion in project reports.
• Support the preparation of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual project reports in compliance with donor requirements
• Undertake any other activities which may be required and requested by FPM for successful project implementation.
Reports to: Field Project Manager
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees/specializations in Agricultural/Plant/Crop Science (Agronomy) or related field, and in Environmental Management/Science/Studies
• Seven (7) years’ work experience covering the above functions in the tree crops sector / value chain (e.g. cocoa, cashew, rubber and shea)
• Skills and experience in designing and delivering technical assistance, training and capacity building programs/services to tree crop farmers and organizations
• Knowledge of value chain concept and of tree crop sector issues, needs, opportunities, strategies and solutions
• Donor-funded project experience a plus
• Entrepreneurial and confident with an ability to deliver PowerPoint presentations and represent the project to prospective partners and stakeholders, and at major events
• Self-motivated and detail-oriented with ability to meet tight deadlines
• Ability work collaboratively as a team player and to achieve results
• Multicultural work experience and abilities
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
• Strong English language written and oral communication skills are required; proficiency in two (2) other local languages would be an asset
How To Apply For The Job
All interested applicant are invited to forward application letters and resumes to:-
[email protected] (the letter j should be capitalized (J) indicating position being applied for in the subject heading of the email response.
Closing Date: 02 June, 2016
• All applications received after the above date and time will not be considered.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.