The Government of Ghana has received funding from the African Development Bank (AfDB) and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) toward the implementation of the Northern Rural Growth Programme (NRGP). The programme is demand-driven and private sector-led and adopts a value chains approach for developing agricultural growth in Northern Ghana.
Nearly 45,000 households will directly benefit from a comprehensive intervention including strengthening of producer organisation, infrastructure improvements, improved access to irrigation and agricultural funding. The programme aims at developing agricultural value chains and increasing agricultural production. It will help vulnerable groups, including women and the youth, create profitable commodity and food chains, while improving market linkages for these agricultural products with the domestic and export markets. The programme covers the three northern regions (Upper East, Upper West and Northern regions) and contiguous Savannah districts of Brong Ahafo Region.
Applications are invited from suitable qualified individuals for the position above in the Northern Rural Growth Programme of the Ministry of Food and Agriculture.
The Irrigation Engineer would be based at Kintampo and be responsible for all irrigation activities of the Programme. He/she will report directly to the Senior Rural Infrastructure Engineer.
Specific responsibilities of the Irrigation Engineer will include but not limited to the following:
- Be responsible for the implementation of irrigation infrastructure as well as the establishment of surface water abstraction, flood recession schemes, valley bottom schemes and small scale irrigation;
- In liaison with the Senior Procurement and Contract Management Specialist to prepare and/or assist implementing agencies in the preparation of TOR, bidding documents, request for proposals and bid evaluation reports for procurement of civil works, goods and technical assistance services under the infrastructure and small scale irrigation sub-components in accordance with standards and requirements of AfDB and IFAD;
- Guide and supervise the technical support to be provided to irrigated agriculture under the Programme;
- Prepare operations and maintenance programme of the irrigation infrastructure;
- In collaboration with the environment officer, ensure that environmental mitigation measures are implemented as part of the infrastructure and small scale irrigation development;
- Collate and prepare progress and status reports on irrigation development and contribute to the relevant content to Project Progress Reports
- Ensure effective collaboration with GIDA for the implementation of the programme
- Collaborate with GIDA and UDS for irrigation capacity building
- Perform other duties requested by the National Programme Co-ordinator
Remuneration: Competitive Salary
Job Duration: Two years renewable
Required Skills or Experience
- At least Degree in Irrigation/Civil/Agricultural Engineering;
- At least 10 years proven working experience in irrigation/water management
- Experience in donor funded project will be an advantage
- Relevant regional/African experience will be an advantage;
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications,
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Willingness and ability to work under minimum guidance; and
- Willingness to work extra hours and sometimes on weekends
How To Apply
Applications with the relevant CVs should reach the following address:
THE NATIONAL PROGRAMME COORDINATOR
NORTHERN RURAL GROWTH PROGRAMME
P. O. BOX 1237TL
Or email to: [email protected]
Offer valid till: 17 Apr, 2012