World Vision is a global Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
World Vision serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
Job Title: Chief of Party, Water4More Initiative
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
World Vision partners with Water4 to implement a 20 million Water Initiative called Water4More initiative in Ghana, Mali, Niger, in West Africa and Ethiopia in East Africa. The project will work within World Vision operating zones. This initiative builds on changes in approach at World Vision, within the WASH sector, by increasing engagement with local private sector combined with capacity building for water service providers. These water service providers will be trained to drill wells, using low cost techniques, and to manage and provide service delivery for communities. As part of this paradigm shift, users will increasingly be responsible for paying for O&M, and Capital Maintenance and upgrading costs through water delivery service fees.
Water4More initiative seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated two-year, $2-million, World Vision and Water4-funded initiative. This initiative will work with the government department in charge of water and agriculture for policy compliance and will have direct working relationship with World Vision National Offices in targeted countries.
Under the joint supervision of the WV WAR & EAR SDOs and Water 4 COO, the COP will work collaboratively with Access Development Managers and World Vision WASH Managers to implement the initiative targeting 7,000 manually drilled wells serving 1million people in 6 countries. This will include low cost drilling and equipping wells, ensuring the functionality and sustainability of water facilities, the management of the ROC centers, and building the relationships with actors in water and agriculture sectors, conducting comprehensive monitoring and evaluation of the initiative, and developing the capacity of the private sector in the management of water points.
As part of the Water4 More initiative there will be a component, Water4Productive Use that will provide water for economic activities. Under this component the clients will be responsible for the investment and ongoing O&M costs of these water points, used for productive purposes which may include: irrigated horticulture, orchards and livestock.
- Provide overall leadership and strategic direction to the Water4More initiative; oversee planning and quality assurance and supervise project monitoring, evaluation and reporting while ensuring quality and timely delivery of all project objectives including: capacity building for local private sector water service providers in low cost well drilling, pump installation, provision of fee based water services for O&M and system management.
- Serve as the principal project liaison with W4M steering committee, as well as establish, represent, and maintain effective working relationships with key government partners, local and internationals implementing partners and other stakeholders.
- Provide leadership to ensure not only that infrastructure targets for wells drilled and pumps installed are met, but that these water points remain functional to provide the 1 million people targeted with consistently reliable sources of safe water.
- Report regularly to the WV WAR & EAR SDOs, the Water4 COO and the Water4 More steering committee.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong proponent of private sector led development.
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly assess priorities and effectively manage a variety of activities at a time while paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Skills in the area of results-based management and the use of monitoring and evaluation frameworks as a primary management tool.
- Very familiar with the decentralized management structure of World Vision.
- WASH programming skills.
- Human Resource skills.
- Minimum: Master’s Degree in Project Management, MBA, or other management based degree program, with 5 years of management responsibility showing progressive responsibility with at least 3 years’ experience as a COP. Proven ability to manage large complex projects involving multiple partners in Africa. Demonstrated accomplishment in working with host country professionals, ministries and private sector.
- Being staff of WV, in a senior position, within the last 5 years and knowledgeable of the new changes and innovations.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in project management implementation, and evaluation, and working with a consulting firm, NGO or international agency in Africa.
- Proven success as a COP managing multiple partners.
- Proven track record of getting projects completed successfully and on time.
- Have sense of Partnership and multi-stakeholder development processes and requirements.
- Have strong capacities in public relations, marketing, and communications.
- Ability to build trust, relationships and work productively with highly creative people across sectors and cultures.
- Strong coordination and networking skills.
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word and Excel.
- Strong skills in speaking, reading and writing French and English.
- Proven skills in project management, including managing resources, and financial and budget planning.
- Experience in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector at national or international levels.
- Knowledge on the business of WASH at national and international level, a plus