UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The mission of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. In line with its mandate UNOPS acts as a central resource for the United Nations system in procurement and contracts management as well as in civil works and physical infrastructure development, including the related capacity development activities.
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
Job Title: Quantity Surveyor (Retainer)
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub regional portfolio.
UNOPS has significant experience in post conflict, post disaster and the field of reconstruction of conflict stricken Infrastructure systems.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Quantity Surveyor will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and co-ordinate any designs assigned and related documentation works. He or she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality QS documentation is carried out on time and on or under budget. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to
- Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports.
- Perform and Coordinate the design works and submissions.
- The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required in accordance with UNDSS restrictions.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the QS prior to commencement of each and every assignment.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Managing the team of assistant Quantity Surveyors and Quantity Surveying interns.
- Work closely with Architects, Engineers, Draftsmen and other Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing integrated design documentation.
- Responsible for the preparation and review the BoQs, specifications and related documents and ensure it meets the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for time management in preparation of BoQs and the other related documents.
- Responsible for the preparation of preliminary costs estimates for project proposals for submission to potential Clients.
- Responsible for the preparation of Engineer’s estimates and will be responsible to withhold this from all to avoid collusion.
- Providing advice during the post-tender and construction stage when requested by the Client.
- Carrying out site inspections and assessments as need arises and prepare subsequent reports.
- Carrying out any relevant administrative and operational efforts as requested by the Senior Infrastructure Advisor.
- Responsible for carrying out financial evaluations of tenders.
- Responsible for developing the unit rates systems for all the countries under the GHOH Hub.
- He/ She shall maintain a register of unit rates of materials and Labor for preparation of cost estimates.
- Actively engage in knowledge sharing and also improve one’s professional skills.
- Master’s degree in Quantity Surveying, Building Economics or related field.
- Applicant with Bachelors degree in Quantity Surveying, Building Economics or related field with 9 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- A combination of a Technical Diploma with an additional 11 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- 7 years of relevant working experience with demonstrated capacity to deliver results in an international development environment in the field of Quantity Surveying/Estimating.
- Candidates with experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies will be well regarded.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Organizing and quality
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client focus
- Ability to work under pressure and tight schedules in a multi-cultural environment;
- Knowledge and capacity to manage project documentation to professional and accurate standards;
- Flexibility and ability to quickly grasp complex structures;
- Good team player attitude;
- Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands
- Ability to work accurately, control quality and multi-task;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Advanced-user level in relevant computer software applications such as QS CAD, AutoCAD, Revit, Microsoft Office programs and other relevant estimating software.
- Infrastructure Assessments
- Advisory- Value Engineering
- Construction- FIDIC Contract Management
- Financial Forecasting
- Knowledge on Conceptual design and Specification
- Quality Control skills in Project Management
- Budgeting, Progress measurement and Development skills