Posted on :
7 Oct, 2016
7 Oct, 2016
A newly established not-for-profit policy analysis and research institute, Ghana Economic Policy analysis and research institute (GEPARI) invites applications from experienced highly motivated dynamic and resourceful Ghanaians to fill the following position
Job Title: Public Finance Expert
• The focus of the position is on the fiscal and public financial management operations of the government and their impacts on the Ghanaian economy. The Public Finance Expert will analyze the effects of tax policies, budget deficits, and welfare policies, and make recommendations to the government.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the roles and responsibilities of the Public Finance Expert will include, but not limited to the following:
• Assist with the design and implementation of the Institute’s annual budget and work plan and contribute to the achievement of the Institute’s overall goal;
• Conduct surveys, collect data, and develop database to support macroeconomic analysis and research;
• Conduct research on public finance issues;
• Analyze data using econometric models and statistical techniques;
• Design policies or make recommendations for solving public finance problems;
• Write articles for publication in academic journals and other media sources and assist with the preparation of the Institute’s publications;
• Assist with the mobilization of resources to implement relevant elements of the Work Programme assigned to the Senior Macroeconomist;
• Assist with M&E activities of the Institute.
• Advise government, businesses, and individuals on public finance issues;
• Assist with the capacity building and training programmes of the Institute;
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive socio-economic database for Ghana;
• Analyse and advise on expenditure management policies and optimal tax policies for policy makers;
• Undertake independent or collaborative quality and publishable research on topical issues affecting the Ghanaian economy: produce at least one journal publication, one working paper, and 2 policy briefs in a year in the area of public finance;
• Assist with the dissemination of research output of the institute; and
• Any other function as may be assigned by the Executive Director or the Steering Committee.
Qualities and Attributes
• Must be a technically strong economist with a record of sound analytical work and experience with design and implementation of economic policy (including tax policy);
• Must have a track record and demonstrable knowledge of Ghana’s economy. The ability to work with teams from multiple practices is highly desirable;
• Must have the ability to think strategically, and be innovative in both substance and process in the design and implementation of public policy;
• Must have M&E skills;
• Should have the ability to work in a politically charged environment and maintain a great sense of objectivity and political neutrality;
• The Candidate must be a citizen of Ghana and of a sound mind. He/She should possess and demonstrate high levels of the following attributes – passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed; and
• Must have a very strong ability to work effectively in a team.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of Master’s Degree in Economics, Public Economics, Public Financial Management. A Ph.D in these areas and ACCA/ CA (Ghana) will be an advantage;
• At least four (4) years post-qualification working/research experience in fiscal policy management, public financial management, taxation, etc;
• Superior quantitative skills, ability to develop and maintain macro-economic models, deep understanding of time series analysis, and ability to work with household data;
• Knowledge of database development and management;
• Ability to use econometric software including Eviews, Stata, SPSS, Matlab, etc.
• Deep technical knowledge and experience in more of the following areas: macroeconomics, macroeconomic forecasting, growth analytics, growth strategy fiscal analysis and management, subnational fiscal frameworks, distributional impact of fiscal policies, government finance and quality of government expenditures;
• Ability to work across a broad range of concurrent tasks, set priorities, and achieve results in a demanding work environment with little supervision;
• Superior client orientation, interpersonal and negotiation skills, ability to work with all levels of staff, managers, clients and partners;
• Ability to work effectively in a team;
• Ability to coach, mentor and develop more junior staff; and
• Very strong oral and written communications skills in English.
How to Apply For the Job
Applications and CVs with the position being applied for clearly marked should be addressed to:
Private Mail Bag,
PMB 61, Ministries, Accra
Soft copies of the applications should be addressed to:
Closing Date: 20 October, 2016