Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Process Plant Operator
To operate the process circuits of the Akyem process plant in a safe and competent manner whereby optimum production is achieved.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices by
- Wearing mandatory protective clothing and appropriate PPE when and where required.
- Report and correct unsafe acts or conditions.
- Proactively participates in safety meetings and promotes safe working practices.
- Strictly adherence to established SOP’s, STP’s, work polices and security procedures.
- Actively partakes in hazard identification and correction.
- Report environmental spills immediately and take appropriate action to prevent contamination.
- To operate the process circuits of the Ahafo process plant in a safe and competent manner.
- Monitor and record the operating performance of the process circuit and make appropriate changes to ensure that optimum production is achieved.
- Monitor and inspect the process plant equipment to ensure its correct operation and performance.
- Maintain a high housekeeping standard in each of the process circuits.
- Develop and maintain a high safety and environmental awareness.
- Work with the metallurgical team to ensure the optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant.
- Work with the maintenance team to achieve efficient process plant equipment performance and availability.
- Assist in the development and review of the process operations SOP’s.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Ahafo process plant operation.
- Assist in achieving the KPI’s that pertain to the process plant. Maintain an understanding of monthly production targets and progress.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely with foremen, maintenance personnel, other operators and senior staff. Operates a two way radio and follows instructions given. Responds to inquiries and instructions in a professional manner.
- Be able to conduct shift handover, detailing all relevant information correctly and details all information in various log books and reports relevant to position.
- Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Processing Operations MOS Elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Position is located in a remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to do physical work, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
Training & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ operating experience in a process plant.
- Process operating experience in any of Crushing, SAG – Ball mill grinding, Leach/CIL, Elution, Reagents and Tails operation is required.
- Process plant commissioning experience desirable.
- Able to communicate read and write in English
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common operation terms
- As a minimum, declared competent in the following Metalliferious Courses (Citi and Guilds):
- MNMPRD104A – Conduct pump operations
- MNMPRD105A – Conduct valve operations
- Successful completion of other Metalliferious courses (Citi and Guilds) will be an added advantage.
Key Performance Indicators
- Local to the Akyem area will be an added advantage.