UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The mission of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. In line with its mandate UNOPS acts as a central resource for the United Nations system in procurement and contracts management as well as in civil works and physical infrastructure development, including the related capacity development activities.
Job Title: Structural Engineer (Retainer Buildings)
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub regional portfolio.
UNOPS has significant experience in post conflict, post disaster and the field of reconstruction of conflict stricken Infrastructure systems.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Structural Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and co-ordinate any designs assigned and related documentation works. He or she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality design documentation is carried out on time and on or under budget. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to
- Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports.
- Perform and Coordinate the structural design works and submissions.
- The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required in accordance with UNDSS restrictions.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the Structural Engineer prior to commencement of each and every assignment. The Structural Engineer shall give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any design assigned and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for performing high quality design and documentation of projects which is to be carried out on time as per the agreed task.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, bar bending schedules and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing.
- Work closely with Project Managers, Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design.
- Review and ensure the documents prepared meets the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs.
- Carry out structural design of services according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
- Strong ability in producing and reviewing structural bill of quantities.
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible non or late delivery prior to the event.
- Carry out structural site inspections and assessments as required report as required.
- Assist in the development of specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
- Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
- Liaise with national and international clients and address requirements when required.
- Coordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines – Architectural and Design Engineers and Quantity Surveyors.
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Review and certify structural design documentations as a third party independent body when required.
- Co-ordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
- Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable and relevant health and safety procedures are adhered to.
- Master’s degree in Structural Engineering/Building Engineering or related field.
- Applicant with Bachelors degree in Structural Engineering/Building Engineering or related field with 9 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- A combination of a Technical Diploma with an additional 11 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- 7 years of relevant working experience with demonstrated capacity to deliver results in an international development environment in the field of Structural Engineering for vertical structures (buildings).
- Candidates with experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies will be well regarded.
- Demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite and structural analysis and engineering design software such as AutoCAD, Revit, MathCAD, PLS-CDD, StaadPro, etc. is desirable
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Organizing and quality
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client focus
- Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context.
- Good team player attitude.
- Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent written and spoken English.