Posted on :
15 Sep, 2016
15 Sep, 2016
Established in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO which is at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realise a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. Visit www.yesghana.org for more information.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana is leading on the delivery of an integrated Entrepreneurial, Financial Literacy and Life Skills training curriculum for youth participants enrolled on the programme.
Job Title: Soft Skills Trainer
YES-Ghana is recruiting trainers to lead on the facilitation of training sessions for youth participants between the ages of 17 to 24 years enrolled on the programme in Kumasi and its surrounding communities. Trainers will attend a 5-day Training of the Trainers (ToT) workshop prior to the commencement of work where they will be provided with the tools, skills and knowledge to successfully deliver an integrated soft skills training curriculum covering three substantive topics: a) Entrepreneurship; b) Life Skills and Work Readiness; and c) Financial Literacy. Following workshop completion, Trainers will deliver the training curriculum on a rolling basis to groups of youth participants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Review and prepare all training materials ahead of each training session.
• Arrange classrooms and outdoor training spaces ready for session delivery, ensuring all training spaces are sufficiently risk assessed and fit-for-purpose.
Session Delivery and Learning Support
• Lead on the successful delivery of training sessions, to include the coordination and facilitation of both group-based activities and individual tasks.
• Provide targeted support to youth participants to start and work through tasks set with assistance from a training support volunteer.
Behaviour Management & Counselling
• Successfully manage behaviour during session delivery, working within a robust Code of Conduct framework.
• Escalate any participant behavioural concerns to the YES-Ghana team when necessary.
• Provide professional assistance and guidance to youth participants who may have some challenges inhibiting their regular class attendance.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Monitor and record participant attendance and maintain other project records as required.
• Monitor and sign-off any incentive package(s) that may be given to youth participants whiles undergoing training.
• Implement youth-centred participant pre-training and post-training assessments and course feedback processes.
• Provide inputs into consortium-wide training quality assessments and performance appraisals.
• Facilitate planned visits and presentations to training centres from other YIEDIE partner organisations as and when required.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Extensive previous or current experience in teaching, community facilitation and youth development in Ghana at the local, regional and national levels.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and a track record of engaging youth in mobilisation activities within Kumasi and adjourning towns highly preferred.
• Experience working with and successfully engaging mixed-gender (male and female) youth groups in training activities on topics of a sensitive nature.
• Experience using creative training methods such as forum theatre, role play, and graphic facilitation would be highly desired.
• Experience in the planning, facilitation and evaluation of training processes using participatory tools.
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Fluency in English and Twi.
• Ability to work independently and use initiative.
• Ability to work within a monitoring and evaluation framework.
• Strategies for working within a gender-sensitive framework.
• A track record of successfully engaging young women in training highly desired.
• A flexible approach to work – the ability to work at evenings and weekends (Saturdays and Sundays).
• Demonstrated passion for working with youth.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles, including strict adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
• Willingness to travel within Kumasi and its adjourning communities.
• Only candidates who reside in or around KUMASI and are willing to travel to and fro all its surrounding communities will be considered for this role.
• Candidates must have no criminal record particularly in relation to the abuse of children and youth. Background checks will be conducted.
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent CV bearing your contact details and two references to
Please use SOFT SKILLS TRAINER – KUMASI as the subject line of the email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 02 October, 2016