Posted on :
8 Sep, 2016
8 Sep, 2016
Golden Star Resources (GSR) is a growing mining company with two operating mines in Ghana, Golden Star (Bogoso/Prestea) Limited and Golden Star (Wassa) Limited and other projects at various stages of development.
The Company’s Prestea underground operation is seeking to recruit suitably qualified persons for appointment as
Job Title: Shift Boss
• Primary focus of this position will be to manage the daily operational shift activities for development and production.
• Train the work force in the use of modern mining techniques and supervise them to achieve planned targets for development and production within budgeted costs.
• The position will require the incumbent to develop strong working relationships with the technical services and maintenance departments.
• The position will also require a strong safety management focus and commitment
The position further requires the incumbent :
• To monitor equipment availability and utilisation, and assess production priorities based on these factors.
• To assist Mine Captains to answer queries and handle requests related to mine operations, including problem solving and judgment.
• To be the go-to expert in the mine on all aspects of development drilling, production drilling, charging and blasting, hauling systems and methodologies.
• To discuss short-range mine plans with Mine Captains and Senior Planning Engineer to ensure plans are realistic and achievable.
• To be responsible for the assessment of all activities and processes related to mine operations.
• To provide, in conjunction with the Mine Captain and Underground Manager, assessment of safety and performance outcomes.
• To assist in preparing reports and completing documentations related to Mine Operations.
• To participate in the development of applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
• To ensure that a safe working environment is maintained at all times and that all work is carried out in line with the company’s safety, health and environmental policies.
• To perform any other related duties assigned from time to time by his supervisor.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Shift Boss Certificate of Competency issued by the Inspectorate Division of Minerals Commission-Ghana;
• 5 years of underground mining experience with at least 3-5 years of hands-on exposure in a similar position;
• Fluent with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
• A training the trainers or supervisory certificate of competency.
• Effective budgeting, planning and scheduling skills for both production and projects;
• Problem-solving and decision-making skills;
• Effective management skills and ability to train and mentor others;
• Willing to work extended hours to meet tight deadlines;
• Effective communication skills both written and oral;
• Flexible rotations, including night shift, if critical circumstances need attention;
• High regard for safe work practices and procedures;
• Must possess a valid Ghanaian driving licence.
• Knowledge in the operational aspects of Alimak mining will be beneficial.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested persons should send their application letters, CVs, and copies of relevant academic documents to:
The HR Manager,
Golden Star (Bogoso/Prestea) Limited
Prestea Underground Mine
P.O. Box 30
Closing Date: 21 September, 2016