Posted on :
28 Oct, 2016
28 Oct, 2016
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
Job Title: Regional Financial Management Specialist/Accountant
USAID/Ghana Systems for Health Project ,Regional Financial Management Specialist/Accountant
• Local Hire Only
• Hours: Full Time
• Location: Ghana (Tamale, Ho, and Takoradi)
• Length of Contract: One (1) year, renewable
• Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
• Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration
Division and Project Overview
• USAID/Ghana Systems for Health Project will support improved, sustainable health-service delivery by strengthening systems vital to ensure access and quality while mobilizing communities and building public-private partnerships (PPPs) to maximize coverage. University Research Co., LLC (URC) and its international and Ghanaian partners share the vision that, by 2019, Ghana’s health systems will be sufficiently robust that the Government of Ghana and its health workforce, in direct partnership with the communities they serve, will be able to sustain equitable access to, demand for, and use of high-quality, high-impact health services with reduced external support, especially in the five regions targeted by Systems for Health. URC brings recognized expertise in applying evidence-based, quality-improvement approaches to accelerate the achievement of high-impact health and social outcomes. We stand ready to provide technical expertise in malaria, family planning/reproductive health, nutrition, quality improvement, and management strengthening.
• The Financial Management Specialist/Accountant (Regional Office) will work under the day-to-day supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration. This position will manage project finances in the field office, working closely with the finance team in Accra, to ensure that activities are implemented without interruption. The position will also support the Ghana Health Service on matters of budgeting and work planning, building capacity as necessary.
Roles and Responsibilities
• As part of the finance team, ensure that URC financial management policies and procedures and USAID regulations are strictly adhered to. This includes ensuring that all policy directives and various checklists circulated by HQ are implemented.
• Review and process requests for travel and activity advances and accurately reconcile advances upon completion of travel or activities.
• Prepare and submit cash requirements for the field office on a bi-weekly basis to the central office in Accra and ensure that funds utilized in the field are properly accounted for.
• Manage all financial resources in the regional office as per URC policies and procedures and USAID guidelines.
• Support the Ghana Health Service in work planning and budgeting and providing training in financial management, as necessary.
• Work collaboratively with S4H central team in the preparation and submission of the URC S4H field wire requests on monthly basis, ensuring that monthly fund requests are accurate and complete. In addition, ensure weekly cash balances are prepared and submitted as per policy.
• Work as part of the finance team to ensure that all project financial and accounting tasks are accomplished accurately and in a timely manner.
• Execute timely preparation and processing of payments by ensuring that all expenses are reasonable, allowable, and properly allocated to the project. This includes liaising with procurement to ensure that all payments are adequately documented.
• Work closely with HR team in Accra in the management of personnel payroll and benefits accounting.
• Provide finance and administrative support to the region to ensure effective flow of information and activities in the region.
• Carry out finance instruction for field project staff and finance training for non-finance staff.
• Ensure that all project-related transactions are conducted, processed, and recorded as per URC system of Chart of Accounts.
• Advise the field coordinator and senior management in Accra on any areas with potential to impact on systems of internal controls and procedures in the field.
• Review procurement documentation to ensure that URC/USAID rules and regulations regarding procurement are adhered to.
• Ensure proper financial controls and appropriate segregation of duties are in place at the regional office.
• Work closely with the finance team in central office to address all monthly field report review comments from home office, including providing feedback for missing vouchers and outstanding information following review of payment documentation.
• Work closely with other S4H staff members in developing and carrying out annual work plans.
• As a member of the finance team, ensure proper financial controls and appropriate segregation of duties are in place. Advise senior management on any areas with potential to impact on systems of internal controls and procedures.
• Maintain close coordination with S4H project staff on financial matters and advise them, as appropriate, on matters requiring their attention.
• Support the central office finance team with the preparation of field bi-weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial reports.
• Carry out banking transactions while strictly observing the established cash-handling procedures.
• Verify original vouchers and receipts and obtain the appropriate certifications.
• In the field, maintain a filing system of all field accounting documentation and ensure that relevant documentation is scanned and sent to the central office in Accra.
• Other accounting, financial and administrative tasks consistent with the overall scope of this position.
• Analytical skills, Project management knowledge, Capacity development, Budgeting & budgetary control, Documentation, information management and reporting, Stakeholder management.
• Planning and organizing; problem analysis; oral communication; written communication; results orientation; self-development; team-player; pro-activeness; creativity; gender sensitive; listening; judgment; coaching.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field
• Minimum of six (6) years’ relevant work experience. Professional accounting qualifications (ACCA) and registration with the relevant accounting professional bodies is an added advantage
• Experience in projects financial management
• Communication, report writing, and analytical skills
• Proficiency in Use of Excel and QuickBooks
• Experience working with USAID-funded projects is strongly desired
Location: Tamale, Ho, and Takoradi
How To Apply For The Job
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and cover letter to:-
[email protected] Indicating “Regional Financial Management Specialist/Accountant” and region (Northern, Western, Central, Greater Accra, or Volta) in the subject line.
Closing Date: 05 November, 2016
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the experience & qualifications required for this position will be contacted. No phone calls, please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce Minimum Qualifications
Thank you very much for your interest.