Posted on :
25 Oct, 2016
25 Oct, 2016
Newmont’s African Regional Headquarters is located in Accra, Ghana, and is one of five core operating regions of Newmont Mining Corporation (www.newmont.com), one of the largest gold companies in the world. Newmont operates the Ahafo Mine in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Project in the Eastern Region. The company has approximately 46,000 employees and contractors worldwide, and employs over 6,500 employees and contractors in Ghana.
The Ahafo mine has made significant sustainable development projects to its host Ahafo communities. This includes the establishment of the Ahafo Development Fund (NADeF) where the company contributes US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit from the mining operation into the fund.
In 2010, the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GBC) voted Newmont Ghana as a leading company in the fight against HIV/AIDS and Malaria prevention. One of the company’s initiatives – The Ahafo Linkages Program, designed to maximize procurement from local Ahafo businesses, also won the most awards at the 2010 Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply UK (CIPS) Procurement Awards.
The Akyem Project is one of Newmont’s new core areas in Ghana. It is currently in the construction stage and is expected to commence production in late 2013 or early 2014.
Newmont was the first gold mining company to be listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) and has for the fifth year running remained on the DJSI. Newmont was recently ranked 42nd in the 100 Best Corporate Citizens List by the Corporate Responsibility (CR) Magazine, and remains the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index.
Newmont Ghana’s industry leading performance is reflected through its high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our employees, and creating value and opportunity for our host communities and shareholders.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This combined with our growth opportunities and extended mine life makes Newmont a great company to work with.
Dimension As: This position has indirect supervisory responsibility in the
Metallurgical Department for plant work activities performed by Engineer I and II.
Job Title: Project Metallurgist
Purpose :This position will focus on development and maintenance of metallurgical systems. The candidate will have a strong primary background in information technology with a passion for metallurgy.
Accept personal responsibility for health and safety of every mine worker under or assigned to his/her supervision
Assures compliance with established procedures and quality assurance methods
Coach and train others in metallurgical systems.
Prepare detail reports as necessary.
Apply initiative and problem solving abilities. Apply knowledge to improve on current practices.
Maintain, develop and implement metallurgical systems
PI historian – Process Administrator.
OCS Mill Expert System – Maintain and implement new control strategies as required. Identify program shortcoming and improve.
JKSimMet – Build, develop and run different plant simulations.
Metallurgical Accounting – improve on current practice.
Develop metallurgical reports utilizing Microsoft Excel – Visual Basic.
• Assist Senior Metallurgist in maintaining and developing of metallurgical systems.
• Keep current with mineral processing technology and the practical experiences of other operations.
• Prepare and implements training plans and programs.
• Develop and implement Standard operating Procedures for Metallurgical department.
• Perform necessary project implementation required by operational or metallurgical department.
• Perform audits on metallurgical practices, correct and implement permanent solutions.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all -inclusive
Working Conditions: The position is located at the Ahafo mine site in Ghana, West Africa
Training and Experience:
• Degree in Information Technology/ Extractive Metallurgy with a strong focus on Information Technology.
• Exceptionally strong technical skills in Microsoft Excel/Visual basic.
• 4 years or more of field experience or equivalent combination of training and experience in information technology with a focus on metallurgical methods/processes.
• Project management skills.
• Be able to utilized resources available in performing duties.
• High level of communication skills – verbal and written