Posted on :
1 Dec, 2016
1 Dec, 2016
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Loss Control Senior Representative
Operating Cost/Budget/Production: 0
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED: 0
POSITIONS INDIRECTLY SUPERVISED: 0
The purpose of the H&S Senior Coordinator UG role is to carry out the requirements of the Integrated (IMS) and Health & Safety Management Systems (SMS) for the Subika Underground Project (SUG).
This job will be responsible for providing Project Health & Safety oversight to the Business and sub-Business partners for the SUG Project.
The position will be expected to drive the Newmont Culture of Zero Harm and fatality elimination to the various Business Partners working at SUG with particular focus on fatal risk categories
• Develop and administer Newmont programs to prevent health & safety events both in Underground and surface construction.
• Assist Project Management to develop and maintain a culture of “Zero Harm”. Provides advice to Business Partners regarding hazard identification, risk management, safety rules, regulations, trends, statistics and compliance.
• Lead safety event investigations to discover root causes and identify corrective actions to prevent re occurrence.
• Implement learning of relevant safety events from other Newmont sites and the general industry.
• Assist Project Management in complying with the Newmont fatality risk critical controls.
• Facilitate the fatality risk critical control verification processes for SUG activities.
• Coach and conduct safety interactions in the field with Business Partner supervisors.
• Conduct health and safety inspections and audits. Prepare reports and ensure close out of actions in a timely manner.
• Facilitate compliance to monthly Business Partner safety meetings and provide safety information to them for their use in presentations.
• Monitor lead and lag health and safety indicators for SUG and produce reports and presentations as required.
• Ensure compliance to the Integrated Management System and Health and Safety Management System and participate in system audits.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
This position is a field position and it is expected that 75 percent of time is spent UG and in the surface construction area.
Other conditions as outlined in the Senior Staff manual.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Degree or Graduate Diploma in Health, Safety and Loss Prevention.
• Thorough understanding of Safety Management Systems.
• Sound knowledge of risk management and loss prevention processes.
• Accident/incident investigation experience.
• Auditing, training and first aid qualifications desirable.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ Underground experience in working in the health and safety field in an extraction industry desired.
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of Underground activities including ventilation, ground control, blasting and emergency response, etc.
• Strong presentation, organizational, report writing and communication skills
• Knowledge of Minerals and Mining regulations
Requisition ID: 161730