Oxfam is an international non-governmental organisation (INGO) working in over 70 countries around the world. Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
To contribute to the delivery of the overall health programme in Ghana, working through a partnership approach, supporting local partners to take forward campaign activities and project development.
Postholder reports to: Health Advocacy Manager
- Management / leadership of campaigns related projects and specific components of strategy. Works with little supervision and independently making decisions and problem solving on routine, new and complex issues/problems.
- Forward planning & management of projects/development of campaigning strategies and tactics
- Representing Oxfam to external contacts
- Achieves goals by influencing internal/external agenda/policies through using well-developed influencing, negotiating skills
- Responsible for shaping work and playing representation role that has potential major impact on public image.
- Exercises a significant degree of independent judgement and manages own workload
- Support the Health Campaign and Maternal Health Project in order to help improve its efficiency and effectiveness, including by developing and improving team services, procedures and systems.
- Manage the financial and administrative affairs of the team, including contract management, budget monitoring, and ensuring correct administrative procedures.
- Promote strong internal communications within Oxfam affiliates, teams and partners, by managing significant flows of information, preparing updates and making sound judgements on its dissemination. Manage diverse and competing priorities, and be able to take decisions and undertake tasks often at short notice.
- Anticipate and solve problems of a varied nature and resolve day to day problems with minimal upward referral
- Support specific campaign projects to ensure successful implementation, as requested by Campaign Managers.
- Work with partners and Oxfam staff on the Maternal Health Project
- Liaising with partners, conducting monitoring reviews and connecting with the global campaign team to deliver on the Maternal Health Project objectives
- Work with partners and staff of Oxfam in the coordination of the Exemptions Research Project
- Support to partners in the implementation of the Universal Access to Healthcare campaign
- Assist the Advocacy Health Manager in executing other duties as assigned.
Administrative, Financial and Logistic Support:
- Manage donor contracts by leading on the management of CRIMSON systems, and supporting the development of fundraising proposals and donor reports.
- Monitor administrative components of grants to partners, including checking that grants are following Oxfam’s procedures and policies and ensuring that relevant documentations support grants to partners
- Support project management systems and improve programme quality by monitoring OPAL compliance for the Health Programme PIP and projects (Maternal Health Project and Free Health For All project, Health Exemptions Research), in particular to promote strong monitoring and evaluation, and anticipating team needs. Assist the Health Programme manager in drawing up and monitoring budgets.
- Assist with the preparation and logistics of events, e.g. meetings, workshops, press conferences, organisation of teleconferences, etc.
- Support Programme manager to prepare annual reports, based on good administrative and financial information, record keeping and reporting.
- Support the effective administration of team affairs, dealing with all administrative matters such as floats, expenses, procurement, liaising with others as necessary.
- Arrange meetings/appointments as required and manage information supporting these meetings.
- Maintain effective filling, archiving and record keeping systems, both paper and electronic.
- Manage information and other resources in support of effective communication and decision-making process.
Communication and Information Support:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of improved internal and external communications.
- Provide support to the Programme Manager in the development of campaign materials and planning of events.
- Produce a monthly/bi-monthly short bulletin on the projects and particularly, the Free Health Campaign and Maternal Health projects and other health campaign related issues in the country to be promoted internally throughout relevant Oxfam affiliates and regions.
- Use internal Oxfam systems such as the intranet, West Africa blogs, etc, to support communication and coordination of work.
- Manage mailings of bulletins and other publications to campaign supporters and targets.
- Organise teleconferences and write short reports and minutes of key meetings.
- Respond to general external inquiries regarding the Maternal Health project and Health Campaign in Ghana.
- Undertake routine and ad-hoc research work to provide key information to campaigns/policy work in Ghana.
- Undertake specific campaigns/advocacy projects with clear ToRs on request from Programme Manager.
Required Skills or Experience
Skills and Competence:
E = Essential. D = Desirable
- Excellent organisational skills, able to efficiently and effectively manage a complex workload with minimal supervision (E).
- Ability to effectively manage detailed financial information, budgets, and contracts, including by using relevant IT programmes (E).
- Ability to successfully develop, implement and evaluate a project with minimal supervision, meeting key deadlines (E).
- Strong written and personal communication skills, including an ability to synthesise complex information, and use IT systems to effectively communicate with partners and teams outside the office (E).
- Ability to work across teams, with colleagues in a range of countries (E).
- Ability to use all standard Microsoft IT systems and programmes.
- Ability to communicate in English (E).
- A commitment to Oxfam GB’s mission and values, and an understanding of gender issues (E).
- Experience of development work and/or campaigning and advocacy (D).
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating projects and campaigns (D).
- Experience of fundraising and/or managing projects funded by external donors (D).
- Experience of using IT systems to manage projects and contracts (D).
- A proven ability to think strategically to improve the quality of campaigns, systems or procedures, and to make links across diverse areas of work (D).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to represent the work of Oxfam (D).
- A high degree of tenacity and initiative combined with high levels of discretion and diplomacy. (D)
To find out more and apply, visit www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs and quote Ref: INT4637
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 1st July 2011