The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
Job Title: Senior Associate
The Senior Associate will be responsible for implementing technical assistance related to Rainforest Alliance projects, building relationships with private companies and local stakeholder management in Ghana. S/he will lead the implementation of Rainforest Alliance projects by overseeing and supporting local trainers, managing key partnerships and representing Rainforest Alliance’s project implementation work in landscape and Climate Smart Agriculture. S/he will primarily focus on cocoa, with occasional involvement in other crops as opportunities arise. This position may supervise one staff member.
- Lead the technical assistance work in the country, especially in training trainers and farmers on the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) standard, Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) practices, and supporting training approach design and implementation that requires independent decision making on day-to-day tactical decisions while major decisions must be approved by the Senior Manager, West Africa;
- Prepare designated farmer group(s) for auditing for compliance with the SAN standards, ensuring that lead farmers are adequately trained and equipped and supported to perform their tasks;
- Manage the implementation of the certification process of the farmer group, and negotiate arrangements with local partners (including Licensed Buying Companies);
- Support the Rainforest Alliance relations with governments, private sector and NGO stakeholders involved in improving cocoa, oil palm, forestry and other relevant crop production; support the Market Transformation team in the relations with corporate partners;
- Support the business development and partnership management work, especially in planning support, networking of partners and in organizing partnership events in relations to the SAN standard, and Rainforest Alliance project implementation – budgeting and supporting development that requires independent decision making on day-to-day tactical decisions while major decisions must be approved by the Senior Manager, West Africa;
- Facilitate community participation and mobilization for technical project implementation; organize and facilitate community level training events on benefits of sustainable land management practices;
- Under the guidance of Development, support raising funds for planning and implementing new projects in the landscape, including making site visits and preparing project design and accompanying donors/journalists to the field;
- Troubleshoot, research and solve implementation challenges of the SAN standard for the local producer association in coordination with in-country Rainforest Alliance colleagues;
- Support project M&E reporting and technical delivery requirements;
- Provide input for the development of audio-visual and printed training and guidance material from project implementation for broader sharing;
- Contribute to landscape project planning, strategic development and review activities and produce quarterly reports; and
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Bachelor Degree in Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management or related field preferred;
- 5-7 years of field experience in the relevant area of expertise. Experience with an NGO preferred, with a minimum of one year work experience in sustainable agriculture;
- Extensive experience in community development work involving community organizations and/or assisting small rural producers; a solid understanding of climate smart agriculture and strategies to build resilience are required;
- First-hand knowledge of sustainable agriculture practices in Western region of Ghana;
- Knowledge of, and commitment to environmental issues and sustainability practices;
- Good understanding of value chains and experience working with private companies;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and working knowledge of PowerPoint other analytical software;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail.
- Ability to ride a motorbike in rough terrains ; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40% per year, nationally.