Posted on :
21 Sep, 2016
21 Sep, 2016
The USAID/Ghana Resiliency in Northern Ghana (RING) program is an integrated project and partnership effort under USAID’s Feed the Future initiative designed to contribute to the Government of Ghana’s efforts to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the nutritional status of vulnerable populations. The purpose of the RING project is to improve the livelihoods and nutritional status of vulnerable households in targeted communities of 17 districts in the Northern Region. This is being achieved through three complementary project components: increasing the consumption of diverse quality foods, especially among women and children; improving behaviors related to nutrition and hygiene of women and young children; and strengthening local support networks to address the ongoing needs of vulnerable households.
Job Title: WASH Officer
The Resiliency in Northern Ghana (RING) project is a 5-year integrated project funded by the USAID Feed the Future (FtF) Initiative and is designed to contribute to Government of Ghana (GoG) efforts to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the nutritional status of vulnerable populations. The goal of RING is improved livelihoods and nutritional status of households in Ghana.
Job Location: Tamale, (provide technical support to East Gonja, Kpandai, Nanumba North, Nanumba South, Sagnerigu and Savelugu-Nanton Districts)
Reporting Relationship: The WASH Officer reports to WASH Coordinator
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The WASH Officer provides technical support by developing and managing the implementation of the water and sanitation section of the RING project through his/her main duties as follows:
• Review annual workplans and budgets of partners to ensure incorporation of relevant activities and inputs
• Provide support to partners’ staff in implementation of water and sanitation program activities
• Provide direct backstopping support for the implementation of Water, Hygiene and Sanitation related activities
• Develop or Review WASH training programs and content and facilitate training of staff of partner organizations and project committees;
• Develop and review manuals guiding the implementation of water and sanitation activities; and undertake regular community and partner visits to offer technical support in the implementation of WASH-related programs.
• Assist RING partners in water and sanitation infrastructure development, including design, technical specifications, construction or rehabilitation, testing, operation and maintenance;
• Work with RING partners to ensure adherence to nationally approved guidelines and standards and alignment to government systems in the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene interventions.
• Assist in reviewing the work, records, and reports of service providers in the construction/rehabilitation/installation of water and sanitation infrastructure (boreholes with hand pumps, household water connection, rainwater harvesting, latrines construction/repairs, hand washing stations, water quality testing, etc.);
• Assist in the review of construction designs (latrines, rainwater catchment systems, Hand washing stations, etc.) and provide technical input into the permitting and construction processes, where applicable;
• Work with RING partners to collect and maintain technical records in compliance with government requirements and any additional requirements;
• Document all processes, lessons and innovations in the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene interventions;
• Provide weekly updates on progress of activities in his/her assigned zone and participate in quarterly and annual report development;
• Work with Governance Advisors and relevant departments to transmit WASH data to M&E on weekly basis
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all duties on the RING project. Global Communities reserves the right to change and update the position descriptions at any time.
Qualification Required & Experience
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
• A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (Environmental & Water Management, Environmental and Sanitation Engineering, Water Resources Engineering or a related area, Civil Engineering, social sciences or development studies and 5 years’ experience in water and sanitation programming in Ghana OR
• A Master’s degree in one of the above disciplines and 2 year experience in water and sanitation programming in Ghana
• Experience in the implementation of Community Led Total Sanitation (key concepts, principles, process and tools) is required
• Experience working with District Assemblies and community entities to implement projects is required
• Proficiency in English (written and verbal) and effective communication skills
• Efficiency, proactivity and teamwork in delivery of set targets within stipulated deadlines required
• Punctuality, commitment to work ethics, and adaptive to change
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
• High degree of computer literacy; MS Excel and MS Word are essential;
• Ability to speak two Northern Languages (preferably Dagbani, Gonja and Likpikpa) is a plus.
Location: Tamale, (provide technical support to East Gonja, Kpandai, Nanumba North, Nanumba South, Sagnerigu and Savelugu-Nanton Districts)
How To Apply For The Job
Please send your applications together with CVs to:-
Closing Date: 30 September, 2016