Posted on :
23 Nov, 2016
23 Nov, 2016
Resiliency in Northern Ghana (RING) is a five-year USAID-funded project implemented by Global Communities, the prime, with technical assistance from JSI and other partners. RING is an integrated project and partnership effort under USAID’s Feed the Future Initiative designed to contribute to the Government of Ghana efforts to sustain-ably reduce poverty and improve the nutrition status of vulnerable populations. The project’s goal is improved livelihoods and nutritional status of vulnerable populations. In support of the goal, RING aims to improve the livelihood and nutritional status of vulnerable households in targeted communities in 17 districts in the Northern Region.
Job Title: Livelihoods/Agriculture Coordinator
Reporting Relationship: Livelihoods/Agric. Coordinator reports to Deputy Chief of Party/Livelihoods Specialist
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Agriculture/Livelihoods Coordinator will work closely with the Agriculture/Livelihoods Specialist and the livelihoods team to deliver needed capacity building and technical assistance on the RING project. His/her main duties shall include:
• Coordinate the activities and interventions of the agriculture and livelihoods component
• With guidance of the Agriculture/Livelihoods Specialist, develop technical specifications/SOW to engage service providers/subcontractors in the implementation of RING agriculture/Livelihoods activities
• Coordinate with the University for Development Studies on the implementation of the orange fleshed sweet potatoes activities.
• Support in supervising the scaling up of the small scale drip irrigation activity by the RING project
• Support in providing technical guidance to Agriculture/Livelihoods officers on the planning, implementation and monitoring of agriculture/livelihoods activities.
• Facilitate process for cross-district learning by documenting and sharing of best practices across RING districts through workshops and during experience-sharing monitoring visits to districts.
• Work closely with Nutrition and WASH teams on the implementation of nutrition-sensitive agricultural and livelihoods activities
• Work closely with M&E team to collect data of agriculture and livelihoods interventions for reporting
• Coordinate weekly reports from Livelihoods officers and report to Livelihoods Specialist
• Take the lead in compiling quarterly and annual reports of the agriculture and livelihoods activities
• Support the Agriculture/Livelihoods Specialist to supervise the completion of tasks and subcontract activities by subcontractors, individual contractors and service providers.
• Provide support to Agriculture/Livelihoods officers in the capacity building and monitoring efforts to relevant implementing departments of the District Assemblies.
• Assist the Agriculture/Livelihoods Specialist to prepare technical and programmatic reports as required
• Support the livelihoods team to facilitate periodic component activity review sessions and best practices meetings involving the district implementing departments
• Must be able to act as Agriculture/Livelihoods officer when required
• Act as Agriculture/Livelihoods Specialist when required.
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all duties on the RING project. USAID/RING reserves the right to change and update the position descriptions at any time.
Qualification Required & Experience
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
• Master’s degree, preferable Agriculture, Rural and Community Development, Economics, Development Studies or Social Development
• At least seven (7) years of proven experience implementing agriculture and rural development programs in Ghana.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and respect deadlines.
• Fluency in at least one of the Northern region dialects is a plus
• Familiarity with agriculture, livelihoods and nutrition issues in Northern Ghana at the district level is required.
• Ability to work with local authorities in Ghana and local NGOs especially at the district level.
• Experience supervising works of consultants, service providers and subcontractors preferred
• Demonstrated ability to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these to stakeholders at the district level.
• Ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 60%of time.
• Proficiency in English (written and verbal) and effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Computer literacy and proficiency in all Microsoft Office software
• Efficiency, pro-activity and teamwork in delivery of set targets within stipulated deadlines
• Punctuality, commitment to work ethics, and adaptive to change
• Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidate should send their applications together with CVs to:
Closing Date: 30 November, 2016