Posted on :
14 Sep, 2016
14 Sep, 2016
The Sabre Trust is a partnership between two independent but linked charities, registered in the UK with the Charity Commission and in Ghana with the Department of Social Welfare. We work in southern Ghana to improve the futures of poor and marginalised children.
Through ten years of grassroots work in rural schools and a long term relationship with the Ghana Education Service, the kindergarten sector has emerged as our priority intervention area. Kindergarten represents the start of formal education for 4 and 5 year old children, and the sector faces a number of challenges including poor learning environments and weak teacher capacity. Our Brighter Futures Programme provides an innovative and carefully considered response to these challenges, delivered through Building Better Schools and providing Transformational Teacher Training.
Our mission is to give young Ghanaians the best possible start to their education, enabling them to achieve their full academic potential and contribute to Ghana’s future economic development.
Our vision is an education system where all children in Ghana are engaged in active and play-based learning, which equips them with the skills and knowledge they need to progress through primary and junior high school and complete their basic education. This will help to bring about a critical shift in mind-set amongst teachers and pupils at all levels of the Ghana education system.
Job Title: Trainee Engineer (Internship)
Location: Western and Central Regions
Reporting to: Construction Programme Manager
Main Role / Purpose
• The Trainee Engineer will work closely with the Construction Programme Manager to monitor and quality assure the site works carried out within the charity’s infrastructure improvement programme. This is a developmental role, within which the trainee is expected to learn and develop their own knowledge base, and gradually assume greater responsibility for the engineering quality assurance on site.
• The role will also give exposure to working with Arup, the global engineering firm, which is one of Sabre’s corporate partners.
• The role involves locations around the Western and Central Regions at Sabre construction sites. The engineer will be the senior on-site permanent staff member for Sabre responsible for delivery of the construction project to the standards set by Sabre.
• Under the supervision of the Construction Programme Manager and mentored by Sabre’s existing engineers, the trainee will gradually assume the following duties:
• To monitor the build quality of site works on all infrastructure projects, and to notify the Construction Projects Manager of any defects, mistakes, errors, contamination or variations, so that appropriate corrective action can be taken.
• To carry out quality inspections based on the schedules set by the Construction Programme Manager.
• To monitor the quality of the work output of the on-site staff and train them in methodology of Sabre and techniques with which to deliver a quality output.
• To maintain the work progress as per the schedule of works for Sabre projects
• On an on-going basis, monitor the progress of suppliers and sub-contractors in order to determine suitability for future work.
• To monitor material quality and liaise with the Site Manager and the Construction Programme Manager to rectify any supply chain issues.
Health, Safety & Environment
• To ensure that site health, safety and environmental procedures are implemented on every project site.
• To keep a daily diary of events including work done, issues arising and quality checks carried out.
• To complete a weekly update to the Construction Programme Manager on a Friday
• To complete a monthly report on the project, in the format provided, by the 3rd of the following month.
• To receive and respond to or refer Requests for Information (RFIs) from Sabre’s design team in the UK as appropriate.
• To keep an inspections record with photographic evidence of project components inspected.
• To issue formal sign-off for each building component on all projects.
Every two months a formal review process will be carried out by the Construction Programme Manager, to assess knowledge transfer and competency. On satisfactory completion of the six month attachment, and a subject to a strong rating in a performance and attitude review involving the Construction Programme Manager and Sabre Country Director, a full time offer of employment could be made.
Compensation and benefits
This is a six-month internship, which attracts a local stipend of GHS 700 per month. Basic accommodation could be provided with other members of the site team.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Candidate Requirements
• Graduate in Civil Engineering
• Ghanaian national
• Dynamic self-starter, able to work to pre-defined targets on own initiative
• Good communication, organisational and prioritisation skills
• knowledge of Microsoft Office and AutoCAD required
• Strong team player, but must have the ability to work independently
• Demonstrable understanding of construction and building techniques
• Commitment to the aims and objectives of the Sabre Charitable Trust
Location: Western and Central Region
How To Apply For The Job
Kindly send applications to the HR at:
[email protected] with the subject line Trainee Engineer
Closing Date: 19 September, 2016