Posted on :
30 Sep, 2016
30 Sep, 2016
Tullow Oil is a leading independent oil and gas exploration and production company. Our focus is on finding and monetising oil in Africa and the Atlantic Margins. Our portfolio of 119 licences spans 21 countries which are managed as three Business Delivery Teams. We are headquartered in London. Our shares are listed on the London, Irish and Ghanaian Stock Exchanges.
It started in a small town called Tullow, about 35 miles south of Dublin, Ireland. I was talking to a friend of mine and he was talking about small oil fields in Africa, which had been left behind by the majors and had no-one to work them. That is where the idea came from. I contacted another friend of mine in the World Bank who told me about a project in Senegal. They had some small gas fields that they were trying to get people to develop, so I set up Tullow Oil to rework those old fields. I knew nothing about the oil and gas industry at the time, which made it more challenging. No one thought Tullow would succeed because of my lack of knowledge of the industry, no major backers and I was starting a company in a country with no oil industry.
Job Title: Communications and Investor Relations Manager
|Job Title:||Communications and Investor Relations Manager|
|Department:||External Affairs and Social Performance|
|Business Unit/Team:||Tullow Ghana Limited|
|Reports To:||Director, External Affairs and Social Performance|
· Leadership Team
· Government & Political Affairs Manager
· Social Performance & Public Affairs Manager
· Legal department
· All other functions/departments
· Group Head of Communications
· Group Head of Investor Relations
· Group Manager, Government, Public Affairs and Policy
|· Media/Media outlets
· TGL Partners and Project contractors
· Government regulators/agencies and Parliamentarians
· Local Government representatives, traditional and local community leaders
· TGL staff (as appropriate)
· Consultants (as appropriate)
The TGL Investor Relations and Communications Manager plays a key role in helping manage the business’ reputation and ensuring alignment with key stakeholders. He /she supports the delivery of TGL stakeholder engagement objectives through the deployment of the full range of communications activities, delivered in accordance with an agreed strategy and plan.
The remit covers external and internal communications, including media relations, and branding. The post-holder also plays a key Investor Relations role and manages the emergency media response system, in conjunction with the EHS department.
|Responsibilities /Key Objectives:||Communications
· Builds the Tullow brand nationally through active use of all media channels available.
· Delivers holistic communications strategies for audiences including media, the general public, investors and employees.
· Actively engages, both proactively and reactively, with the media to ensure appropriate management of issues affecting Tullow, both direct and indirect, acting as a senior spokesperson as necessary.
· Works closely with Group departments including Investor Relations & Communications and Safety, Sustainability and External Affairs to align messaging.
· Drafts communications such as press releases, speeches, publications or events to convey the desired Tullow position.
· Contributes to Tullow Ghana’s crisis communication policy and process, building and re-enforcing the company’s crisis media response capabilities and providing support on crisis media communication.
· Provides communications support and advice to the TGL Leadership Team to engage & align employees to the corporate vision and objectives.
· Advises and assists key TGL departments to communicate effectively about their activities across Tullow, including identification of effective modalities and channels of communication and development of tailored messaging.
· Develops and implements effective Investor Relations communications strategies and campaigns.
· Facilitates private meetings and events with institutional and individual shareholders.
· Expands the Investor base and manages engagement with investors; delivers the annual Shareholder/ Investor Forum; and responds to emails/calls from analysts and investors.
· Supports internal and external requests for market-based feedback.
· Provides IR support, including drafting and issuance of press releases, and other legal /corporate communications .
· Undertakes structured and co-ordinated liaison with stakeholders / Investors based on sound research and analysis.
|Responsibilities /Key Objectives:||Leadership and General Management
· Provide strategic leadership for the Communications team to achieve its objectives through team empowerment and effective delegation, while contributing to the overall leadership of EASP and the achievement of TGL business objectives.
· Develop and manage organisational capability, team development, and resourcing and succession strategies, with support from the Social Performance and SSEA functional leads in London, and the HR team.
· Deploy human resources according to business requirements and provide input into business planning processes/decisions as required (accounting for operational impacts and stakeholder impacts on the business objectives).
|Experience and Education:||· Demonstrable experience of managing the Corporate Communications and/or Investor Relations function of a large or multinational company.
· Extensive work experience in mainstream media or in a role regularly handling both national and international press.
· Understanding and appreciation of corporate reputation issues affecting the extractive industries, including an ability to build a holistic picture of key risks as they affect individual operating companies.
· Politically non-partisan with significant contacts with key stakeholders in Ghana, including the media, NGOs, business and media, and strong networking skills. Familiar with and sensitive to Ghanaian customs and practices.
|Skills:||· Ability to develop and manage a critical network of media relations, together with strong first-hand knowledge of how the media works in practice.
· A demonstrated understanding of how to use communications as a tool to enhance business performance, including Issues Management and tracking.
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills (particularly in interviewing techniques, media management, writing and presentation).
· Proven leadership skills in a multi-cultural context with a bias for action and ability to deliver successful outcomes in complex situations.
· Strong interpersonal and influencing skills. Able to operate at senior levels in-country and build strong links with Tullow corporate functions.
· Ability to translate complex information into strong, easily delivered messages, including the ability to influence, inspire confidence and build trust at all levels and across cultures.
· A sound knowledge of how to manage the production of various brand communication materials, e.g. documentaries, magazines, newsletters, brochures, leaflets, etc.
· A first rate grasp of financial and economic information and data, as well as the ability to analyse and present it cogently to others
· Fluent English. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
|Business Behaviours:||· Awareness of and sensitivity to diverse cultures.
· Demonstrates a high level of personal integrity and leads by example.
· Establishes priorities, plans effectively and sets up right direction for the team.
· Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve the BU goals.
· Self motivated and uses initiative and judgment to attain the best results.
· Demonstrates a personal commitment to Health, Safety and the Environment.
· Supports Tullow values.