Posted on :
4 Aug, 2016
4 Aug, 2016
The mission of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace-building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. In line with its mandate UNOPS acts as a central resource for the United Nations system in procurement and contracts management as well as in civil works and physical infrastructure development, including the related capacity development activities.
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to:
• Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
• Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
• Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub regional portfolio.
UNOPS has significant experience in post conflict, post disaster and the field of reconstruction of conflict stricken Infrastructure systems.
Job Title: Construction Specifications Specifier/Writer (Retainer)
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Construction Specifications Specifier/Writer will give his/her technical expertise as required for coordinating, editing, and reviewing bidding and contract documents and technical specifications for clarity and grammar, and assisting with preparation and coordination of bidding requirements, and contract forms and conditions of the contract using FIDIC and owner-furnished documents. He or she is responsible for improving and enhancing the technical quality of the deliverables, through knowledge and information management, research and education, and by serving as a technical resource to members of the project team. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve but not be limited to:
• Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports.
• The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required in accordance with UNDSS restrictions.
An agreed Terms of Reference (TOR) including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the Construction Specifications Specifier/Writer prior to commencement of each and every assignment.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
• Write, edit and coordinate technical specifications and related documents including master specifications.
• Prepare outline specifications for design development phase; assemble project manuals for construction documents phase and prepare addenda during bidding phase
• Communicating best practices, policies, and procedures to project teams.
• Educating and mentoring staff on master specification documents, construction document technology, and editing methodology.
• Liaising with manufacturers’ representatives as needed for research and project support.
• Assisting staff in developing and maintain master specification documents.
• Plans, schedules, organizes, and prepares construction specifications for the various phases / milestone deliverables of projects (including outline specifications when required).
• Support preparation of procurement requirements when required. Receives owner’s documents for inclusion in project manual; coordinates specifications with owner’s requirements.
• Reviews in-progress drawings and other project documents to ensure complete and coordinated technical specifications.
• Participates in periodic Project Technical Reviews and Quality Control reviews of architectural, engineering, and construction projects.
• Ensures staff receives and follow most current specification formatting conventions.
• Assists project teams with material and product selections; suggests alternatives when appropriate.
• Maintains and updates master guide specifications; prepares, maintains, and updates master sections developed specifically for certain market sectors or building types.
• Master specifications updates will address UNOPS ongoing commitment to sustainable design.
• Maintains awareness of evolving building technology, codes, and systems.
• Researches new products and materials, and construction processes.
• Maintains awareness of industry reference standards and sources / locations.
• Maintains awareness of sustainable design ratings systems, and sustainable products and materials and incorporates sustainable materials and products in specifications whenever possible.
• Maintains and promotes in-house specifications procedures and process.
• Assists teams in preparation of addenda and in review of requests for substitution.
• Assists teams in their review of submittals and requests for information as it relates to specified materials, products or systems.
• Carrying out any relevant administrative and operational efforts as requested by the Senior Infrastructure Advisor.
• Actively engage in knowledge sharing and also improve one’s professional skills.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Master’s degree in civil engineering, architecture, or related field. Applicant with Bachelors degree in engineering, architecture, or related field with 9 years of relevant working experience may also be considered
• A combination of a Technical Diploma with an additional 11 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
• 7 years of experience writing technical specifications for the architectural, engineering or construction industry and with a demonstrated capacity to deliver results in an international development environment.
• Thorough knowledge of building materials and codes, construction techniques and relative costs, and building material characteristics, performance, and compatibility.
• A thorough knowledge of the AIA Master Specs, EJCDC, FIDIC, CSI Manual of Practice, British standards or Euro Norm
• Construction Document Technologist (CDT) or Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) certification is preferred
• Computer literacy in MS Office and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
• Fluency in written and oral English is required
How to Apply For the Job
Interested candidate should check below to apply.
Click Here To Apply Online
Closing Date: 22 August, 2016