UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
Job Title: Highway Design Engineer (Retainer)
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Highway Design Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and co-ordinate any designs assigned and related documentation works. He or she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality design documentation is carried out on time and on or under budget. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to
- Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports.
- Perform and Coordinate designs and submissions.
- The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required in accordance with UNDSS restrictions.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the Highway Design Engineer prior to commencement of each and every assignment. The Highway Design Engineer shall give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any design assigned and related documentation works.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Provide design services for highways.
- Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing.
- Work closely with Project Managers, Highway Design Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design.
- Review and ensure the documents prepared meets the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs.
- Carry out design services according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
- Strong ability in producing and reviewing highway design drawings and specifications.
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible non or late delivery prior to the event.
- Carry out site inspections and assessments as required, report as required.
- Assist in the development of specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
- Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
- Liaise with national and international clients and address requirements when required.
- Coordinate the works and submissions with all other Highway Design Engineering disciplines.
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Review and certify design documentations as a third party independent body when required.
- Co-ordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
- Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable and relevant health and safety procedures are adhered to.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Organizing and quality
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client focus
- Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context.
- Good team player attitude.
- Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with emphasis on Transportation Engineering or Highway Engineering.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree with 9 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- Applicants with Technical/Professional Diploma Certification with 11 years may well be considered.
- 7 years of years of relevant working experience of both labour based and equipment based rural road contracting.
- Candidates with experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies will be well regarded.
- Technical proficiency in using MS Office Suite, AutoCAD and in at least one highway design software.
- Membership in a recognized engineering body / institution is desirable
Click Here To Apply For Mechanical Design Engineer (Retainer)
Click Here To Apply For Materials/Pavement Engineer (Retainer)
Click Here To Apply For Engineering Contract Specialist (Retainer)
Click Here To Apply For Electrical Engineer (Retainer)
Click Here To Apply For Structural Engineer (Retainer Buildings)
Click Here To Apply For Quantity Surveyor (Retainer)