UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The mission of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. In line with its mandate UNOPS acts as a central resource for the United Nations system in procurement and contracts management as well as in civil works and physical infrastructure development, including the related capacity development activities.
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, Ghana is responsible for projects in Anglophone West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub regional portfolio.
UNOPS has significant experience in post conflict, post disaster and the field of reconstruction of conflict stricken Infrastructure systems.
Job Title: Electrical Engineer (Retainer)
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Infrastructure Advisor, the Electrical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any designs assigned, supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He or she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality design documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget. The projects may be in national and or international locations.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the electrical services of projects
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of electrical machineries and equipment
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of electrical services (specifications, BOQs, rates etc.)
- Design and produce electrical systemic drawings and scope of works
- Review the design of electrical services of projects
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of electrical deliverables to clients
- The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under GHOH as required and as UNDSS permits.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-GHOH and the Electrical Engineer prior to commencement of each and every assignment. He/she is responsible for ensuring electrical services supervision and related documentation of projects which is to be carried out on time as per the agreed task.
- Ability to conduct Electrical assessment of building facilities, water systems and electromechanical systems and produce report and corresponding estimates
- Ability to analyze and design processes in electrical engineering as requested utilizing research, development, design and other electrical devices
- Review the electrical designs for all Infrastructure projects in term of accuracy and suitability to overall design requirements, including Identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions
- Ability to use drawings software such as Autodesk –AutoCAD and Revit
- Strong ability in producing electrical bill of quantities to international standards of the projects proposed.
- Strong knowledge of local and international electrical standards and codes
- Ability in specifying technical specifications of electrical products, apparatus, services and associated quality material
- Knowledge of Solar design and Installation
- Knowledge of Power systems for water and waste management systems
- Follow up the contractual obligation of the contractor on the site and secure the testing of the installed products in order to verify their quality as being an integral part of both design and manufacture.
- On the site, ensures that the work is done according to instructions, drawings and technical specifications as per contractual agreement and give the same support to site teams liaising with the Project Managers and Project Engineers.
- Validation of executed works against specification and standards and payment request submitted by contractor
- Undertake commissioning to support handover and acceptance of deliverable to clients
- Prepares monthly progress reports as well as drawings when requested. Study and reports on contractors’ claims and variation orders and immediately reports any problems/ constraints arising in the progress of the work and between stakeholders.
- Keep files for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and material on site.
- Manage and supervise final commissioning and handover documents to clients.
- Ensure as-built drawings and maintenance manuals for the finished materials used in the works.
- Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable and relevant OH&S procedures are adhered to.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Applicant with Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or related field with 9 years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- A combination of a Technical Diploma with an additional 11 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- 7 years of relevant working experience with demonstrated capacity to deliver results in an international development environment in design and installation of power distribution systems (single phase and three phase – conduit laying, wiring, installation of electrical board, fittings, etc.), testing and commissioning of electrical systems, preparing of BOQs and supervision & monitoring of electrical works.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Organizing and quality
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client focus
- Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context.
- Good team player attitude.
- Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite